crawfish claws!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evilameba

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey all! i recently caught a crawfish. i have kept these guy for years and, being in louisiana, have seen many different species! the one i have now is a tad large for my 64 galloncommunity, which includes guppies and zebra danios. he is big enough to cath them. i really like having them though, they are awesome to watch. so i tied up his main prey catching claws with thread! they can still eat and get food with the other claws, just not small fish! any thoughts on the matter? just want to share!

I would not practice this I would just set up another tank for crawfish it seems like it would be cruel to them.

Sorry... that is ridiculous and I find it amazing that you'd ever think that's a good idea. If you're going to treat animals you keep like that, I agree with MG. The only crawfish you should be around are the ones that have already been boiled. At least they get to die quickly.

Sorry... that is ridiculous and I find it amazing that you'd ever think that's a good idea. If you're going to treat animals you keep like that, I agree with MG. The only crawfish you should be around are the ones that have already been boiled. At least they get to die quickly.

You say this but in louissiana it is a diffrent mind set on crawfish. They are reguarly eatin and they are treated diffrent. Kinda like seals are a regular food source in antartica with escimos so they would be treating them diffrently if captured because of this. Same in louissiana with crawfish, so cut him a little slack, besides if he does this temporarly it shouldnt be a big deal if he sets up a new tank for it. Which i think he should do.

You say this but in louissiana it is a diffrent mind set on crawfish. They are reguarly eatin and they are treated diffrent. Kinda like seals are a regular food source in antartica with escimos so they would be treating them diffrently if captured because of this. Same in louissiana with crawfish, so cut him a little slack, besides if he does this temporarly it shouldnt be a big deal if he sets up a new tank for it. Which i think he should do.

Um... I lived in New Orleans and Lafayette for years so I'm quite aware of the "mindset". The gulf coast also leads the nation in euthanasia of animals, but I don't write that off to "mindset" either. It's cruel regardless IMO. The OP asked for thoughts, I shared mine.

By the way... eskimos are from Arctic, not antarctic. At least google things first if you want to enter into a debate.

So here's my two cents. While I do agree with HN1 that it is cruel, I can kind of understand why you tied the claws. You didn't want him eating any more of your fish. Fine, perhaps you should have thought of that BEFORE putting him in there. But that's neither here nor there now. Hind sight is always 20/20. However, leaving him like that in the tank he's in now goes beyond cruelty to me. Setting him up in his own tank, maybe add a few friends and some feeder guppies would be the way to go. Or snip the string and set him free where you got him. Regardless of being in Louisiana or not, you are keeping that creature as a pet. And as a pet keeper you have certain responsibilities. Quality of life, even for crawfish should be a priority.

um..everybody, this was just an idea...
i tried it for, like 20 minutes, just to see what would happen.
he has never eaten any fish, like i said we know lots about crawfish down here.
i dont think it was very cruel, but since there is no humane society for crawfish, i think our opinions will just have to differ.
boiling does not kill them quickly, they die rather slowly in my opinion.

thanks for the support etunes lol
HN1, i really must protest such a response. if its a bad idea, i think it should be easy to tell me so with out such words, but again just my opinion. they do it with lobsters anyway....
and besides he pulled the string off rather quickly, AFTER eating lots of fish flakes with his other claws!

Chefs are required to pith crayfish before boiling these days.

IMHO when you have to modify the animal to keep it, the level of husbandry is less than great. Might as well it take its chances in the wild.

Chefs are required to pith crayfish before boiling these days.

IMHO when you have to modify the animal to keep it, the level of husbandry is less than great. Might as well it take its chances in the wild.

neutering a male cat?
removing scent and musk from ferrets?
disbudding goats?

i already said that its not going to live live that, i just tried it out...

Neutering is done for the benefit of the animals, but yes--I would feel the same about the other two examples. Also tail docking, debarking, declawing and any number of other examples. You have your opinion, you asked for ours. You got 'em.

most people neuter a tom so he wont spray urine everywhere. well most of those are legal so its just an opinion.
disbudding goats is for the safety of its herdmates and keepers
point is, they often are for good reasons( though they are often just cruel)
andoften times the people who protest have never kept the animals in question and often dont much understand the practices(but often they do)
they usually cant just be lumped into one category

most people neuter a tom so he wont spray urine everywhere. well most of those are legal so its just an opinion.
andoften times the people who protest have never kept the animals in question and often dont much understand the practices(but often they do)

Ok, I was going to let this thread go and forget about it after the PMs and profile message and then you say something like this. Most people spay and neuter because there is a massive overpopulation problem and it's more humane than euthanising them. You are comparing these practices used on domesticated animals to your tying the claw of a WILD animal. You captured (possibly illegally depending on species) an animal from the wild and introduced it into your tank by your choice. You asked about the claw thing AFTER the fact and have issues with the opinions expressed? If you don't want to know contrary opinions, don't post. Now you're going to release it back into the wild with who knows what possible pathogens from creatures it has never before encountered in the wild. Again, that is irresponsible. I have no doubts that you love animals, but you need to also understand them and their environment.

Wow, well on this one i am all on NH1 side. They spade and neuter the pet so there isnt a massive overpopulation. And i wasent really trying to be mean NH1. I did some serious thinking after this thread was posted and i agree that it is cruel if you do it permanetly. But if he has to do it temporarly i dont see a problem. Kinda like putting a muzle on a dog temporarliy.

um..everybody, this was just an idea...
i tried it for, like 20 minutes, just to see what would happen.
he has never eaten any fish, like i said we know lots about crawfish down here.
i dont think it was very cruel, but since there is no humane society for crawfish, i think our opinions will just have to differ.
boiling does not kill them quickly, they die rather slowly in my opinion.

thanks for the support etunes lol
HN1, i really must protest such a response. if its a bad idea, i think it should be easy to tell me so with out such words, but again just my opinion. they do it with lobsters anyway....
and besides he pulled the string off rather quickly, AFTER eating lots of fish flakes with his other claws!
ok its going off hand a lot. lobster they do this so they dont hurt each other. they are there a limited time until people eat them. a lobster in that set up is food not a pet.

until people start asking you why then its only on there for 20 mins. it took it off change of story. you are welcome to try and justify it how ever you want. i dont think you wont get many people patting you on the back.

Back
Top Bottom