Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

crawfish claws!

hey all! i recently caught a crawfish. i have kept these guy for years and, being in louisiana, have seen many different species! the one i have now is a tad large for my 64 galloncommunity, which includes guppies and zebra danios. he is big enough to cath them. i really like having them though, they are awesome to watch. so i tied up his main prey catching claws with thread! they can still eat and get food with the other claws, just not small fish! any thoughts on the matter? just want to share!

Old 08-02-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would not practice this I would just set up another tank for crawfish it seems like it would be cruel to them.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Joker741 Send a message via MSN to Joker741 Send a message via Yahoo to Joker741
Set up a tank for it, that is what I did with mine.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

might as well just eat it. get it its own tank.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Sorry... that is ridiculous and I find it amazing that you'd ever think that's a good idea. If you're going to treat animals you keep like that, I agree with MG. The only crawfish you should be around are the ones that have already been boiled. At least they get to die quickly.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
Sorry... that is ridiculous and I find it amazing that you'd ever think that's a good idea. If you're going to treat animals you keep like that, I agree with MG. The only crawfish you should be around are the ones that have already been boiled. At least they get to die quickly.
You say this but in louissiana it is a diffrent mind set on crawfish. They are reguarly eatin and they are treated diffrent. Kinda like seals are a regular food source in antartica with escimos so they would be treating them diffrently if captured because of this. Same in louissiana with crawfish, so cut him a little slack, besides if he does this temporarly it shouldnt be a big deal if he sets up a new tank for it. Which i think he should do.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etunes View Post
You say this but in louissiana it is a diffrent mind set on crawfish. They are reguarly eatin and they are treated diffrent. Kinda like seals are a regular food source in antartica with escimos so they would be treating them diffrently if captured because of this. Same in louissiana with crawfish, so cut him a little slack, besides if he does this temporarly it shouldnt be a big deal if he sets up a new tank for it. Which i think he should do.
Um... I lived in New Orleans and Lafayette for years so I'm quite aware of the "mindset". The gulf coast also leads the nation in euthanasia of animals, but I don't write that off to "mindset" either. It's cruel regardless IMO. The OP asked for thoughts, I shared mine.

By the way... eskimos are from Arctic, not antarctic. At least google things first if you want to enter into a debate.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
Great white snark
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

So here's my two cents. While I do agree with HN1 that it is cruel, I can kind of understand why you tied the claws. You didn't want him eating any more of your fish. Fine, perhaps you should have thought of that BEFORE putting him in there. But that's neither here nor there now. Hind sight is always 20/20. However, leaving him like that in the tank he's in now goes beyond cruelty to me. Setting him up in his own tank, maybe add a few friends and some feeder guppies would be the way to go. Or snip the string and set him free where you got him. Regardless of being in Louisiana or not, you are keeping that creature as a pet. And as a pet keeper you have certain responsibilities. Quality of life, even for crawfish should be a priority.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

um..everybody, this was just an idea...
i tried it for, like 20 minutes, just to see what would happen.
he has never eaten any fish, like i said we know lots about crawfish down here.
i dont think it was very cruel, but since there is no humane society for crawfish, i think our opinions will just have to differ.
boiling does not kill them quickly, they die rather slowly in my opinion.

thanks for the support etunes lol
HN1, i really must protest such a response. if its a bad idea, i think it should be easy to tell me so with out such words, but again just my opinion. they do it with lobsters anyway....
and besides he pulled the string off rather quickly, AFTER eating lots of fish flakes with his other claws!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Chefs are required to pith crayfish before boiling these days.

IMHO when you have to modify the animal to keep it, the level of husbandry is less than great. Might as well it take its chances in the wild.

Tags
claw

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com