Creating a water test log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I have been keeping up with 3 new aquariums and doing frequent water testing and water changes. I finally decided to make a spreadsheet log to help me keep up with it and track everything.

I have been learning a lot, but there is still a lot that I don't know. I usually do my water changes weekly or if the water gets too cloudy. Based off of the water chemistry alone, when would you advise someone to do a water change? This will be for a cycled tank.

I am wanting to make a function that prints (Water Change Recommended) when the (e.g. nitrates) are too high. I believe the recommended level is between 10 and 40ppm? So if I am correct, anything over 40 would require a water change, right?

I know that this is overkill, but I am trying to teach two kids how to care for an aquarium. I think the visuals will help them better understand what is going on.

Here is a screenshot of my spreadsheet so far. Any advice/recommendations is also appreciated! I can post it up for download once it is done.

This is a good idea as visuals will speak as loud as the numbers. Better for those who are visual learners.

It is hard for me to see all the small detail. But if I understand, the change in color will help see when a water change is needed???

I love how you can see the cycle happening :)

I would do a water change anywhere over 20ppm nitrAte. If it gets to 40 in a one-off situation it won't hurt, but to be that high over a prolonged period of time would be stressful.

This is a great idea :)

Thanks guys! I spent more time working on it last night. I was aiming at making it a guide for the kids. So in the "Water Change?" column I changed that to "Recommendation" and now based off of your water parameters it will either recommend you do nothing, a water change, or daily dose with Prime (since that's what we use).

Here are the rules and a new screenshot. This is for the kids, so an experienced fishkeeper wouldn't need (and might not want) the recommendations. So I will have 2 spreadsheets, one for new fishkeepers and one for experienced ones.

It tells you the next time you should test the water. I set it for 7 days if the tank is cycled and everything looks good. 2 days if you are daily dosing with prime. What do you think about the timeframe?

For example, if I add a row on June 1, 2017 and the Ammonia is 4ppm, it will suggest to daily dose with Prime and add a new row with a date of June 3, 2017 automatically. If everything is fine on June 3, it will add a new row with a date of June 10, 2017. If more than a week has passed since your last entry, it will automatically recommend a water change.

Here is the notes section of the spreadsheet in case you can't read it from the screenshot:
Measured in PPM
If more than 7 days have passed since your last entry, a water change will be recommended.
If Nitrate is 20ppm or higher, a water change will be recommended.
If Ammonia or Nitrite is greater than 0.50ppm, a daily dose of prime will be recommended.
If a water change is recommended, the suggested next test date is in 7 days.
If a daily dose of prime is recommended, the suggested next test date is in 2 days.
Dates can be overridden, but when you type you will not see the text appear in the cell. View the function bar at the top.
A blank field under action indicates no action should be taken. Your next test date should be within 7 days.

It can be improved so any suggestions are welcome! The formulas were tricky but I think I have worked out the kinks.

This is a good idea as visuals will speak as loud as the numbers. Better for those who are visual learners.

It is hard for me to see all the small detail. But if I understand, the change in color will help see when a water change is needed???

Yes, that's right!

Hi Jc102,
My 2 daughters and myself are new to aquariums and looking to build a tank log. Did you reach a point where you are willing to share yours?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom