creek rock identification help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickriley2010

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I went on an adventure looking for rocks and drift wood in the creek on my parents 50 acres.

The adventure called for the use of their sideXside and at one point a kayak just to cross a small portion of deep water mostly for fun! Anyways I found some cool rocks that I want to use in my aquarium I know how to prep and test them from other posts and YouTube.

But being a curious person I thought I would ask to see what they were if anyone knew what they were these are only 4 of about 30 I grabbed. A majority of them look like the first 3 another is the from the creek bottom it's about 2x1' and about 1/8 of an inch thick.

But here is the first batch the rest I left in a barn.
If it helps I love by Cincinnati Ohio!

Rock #1
0V982Ka.jpg

Rock #2
vk08M5p.jpg

A2ss3OF.jpg

Rock #3
lnTefsZ.jpg

gBPhpNQ.jpg

Rock #4
Sw0979E.jpg

RSdXel9.jpg

Close up of #4
9frwe7D.jpg

Rock #1 looks like a sandstone. The smooth ones #2 & 3 look like chert and the grainy ones #4 look like granite. But I'm no geologist. They are some very cool looking rocks! OS.

Rock #1 looks like a sandstone. The smooth ones #2 & 3 look like chert and the grainy ones #4 look like granite. But I'm no geologist. They are some very cool looking rocks! OS.

Is sand stone okay in an aquarium ? And thanks ! The last one I was thinking granite or marble or something of that nature .

yes sanstone works great in a tank as long as it doesn't have any trace calcium. If it passes the vineger fizz test, it's OK. I've used it in my tanks with no problems. OS.

yes sanstone works great in a tank as long as it doesn't have any trace calcium. If it passes the vineger fizz test, it's OK. I've used it in my tanks with no problems. OS.

How much weight can the bottom glass of a 20 tall tank hold ? I already have like 2-3 inches probably around 38 pounds of PFS in there

The sand's weight is spread out so if it's on a flat level surface you are OK. You could go maybe 20# of rock but only total among several with no one rock weighing more than 5#'s. OS.

How much weight can the bottom glass of a 20 tall tank hold ? I already have like 2-3 inches probably around 38 pounds of PFS in there

I think you're ok to put as much as you want in there. Just make sure there aren't any pressure points(1 or 2 areas supporting all the weight)

I wish I could find the video to post a link...some guy did a weight test on a 20(not sure if it was a long or tall) by stacking at least 250 lbs of brick insife and then stood on top. And the glass held!

I wish I could find the video to post a link...some guy did a weight test on a 20(not sure if it was a long or tall) by stacking at least 250 lbs of brick insife and then stood on top. And the glass held!

Dang I was planning on just cutting out a piece of ply wood that would sit under the tank inside the black plastic framing and then put some squishy rubbery sheet material over the top

I put the 3 rocks in a Home Depot bucket and poured boiling water in not thinking that it could cause chemicals to come out of the plastic or is this safe ? I don't want to boil the rocks because I know they can explode and I don't want to deal with that.

It's safe I use the exact same bucket for everything. LOL I did the rubber shelf liner thing under my tank too. Works great. OS.

Do you think or anyone else think this is a good enough brush for scrubbing rocks ? Firm bristles its called a nail brush for like cleaning under your nails i guess ?

I also saw this video, it was amazing. Blew my mind! After this video I had ZERO worries about putting AS MUCH rock as I want to put in my tanks!

I also saw this video, it was amazing. Blew my mind! After this video I had ZERO worries about putting AS MUCH rock as I want to put in my tanks!

I was going to post a link but I can't find the video again

Back
Top Bottom