Critter cage is safe to use as an aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dud

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi:

I just got another tank from my friend which he used to keep a snake in. I got it thinking that I want to use it as my second freshwater aquarium, and wondering if this is a okay. I'm just suspicious whether these stuffs are made strongly enough to hold the water in.

Thanks.

Nope, sorry!!

If it was originally a Fish Tank then yes, but critter cages use the thinnest glass that they can to cut costs and make them cheaper, thus the reason that a 40 gallon critter cage costs 14.99 and the fish tank costs 49.99, prices are guestimates, FTR.

So there you go, lol. HAND, Have a nice day

the cage seems to be what's called 'snug fit critter cage' from all glass company, and it's 30x12x12" one.

Dang, there's a big mess to clean up then...

If I were you, I'd get a corn snake! they are soooooo pretty. I saw one when I was 7, I've always wanted one since then... too bad I can't have any snakes in my apartment, but I am happy with my fishies. :D

That sounds like an awesome idea but sadly my wife isn't so friendly with snakes. As a matter of fact, she kinda hates the tank already since my friend had a snake in it before; in addition the snake somehow sneaked out and he never found it again... Shouldnt've told her that story :roll:

I use an old 30? gallon tank that USED to house my burmese python before it grew out of it as a water turtle enclosure. But the water is only filled halfway, I havent had any problems with it.
But, I would never use it as a full on aquarium.

aww, too bad she doesn't like snakes... not even little ones? Corn snakes don't get very big, and they are so pretty and very passive. Ah well. Maybe you could try filling the tank halfway to see if it would be ok and make it into a half land half water tank and house fire bellied newts. Those little guys are awesome and shouldn't be escape artists (but get a full hood just in case :wink: ).

Can anyone recommend a good link or forum (such as this) for aqua-terrariums?

I always wanted a salamander! Newts sure look cute!

Back
Top Bottom