Crooked spine guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesse.R

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've noticed that one of my guppy fry has a crooked tail. What do I do with him. Will it ever straighten out or stay crooked??

Attachments

• image-1551188143.jpg
    image-1551188143.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 120
  • image-1729989059.jpg
    image-1729989059.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 108
It's a deformed fry, probably from inbreeding, no it wont straighten out

Has it always been thus or is this a recent development?

I've only seen one other fry like this a month ago. And I just noticed this fry because my guppies are always giving birth. Anybody want some haha

I have one thats bent at a 45 degree angle. She's my oldest fish and was born that way and swims around very happily.

I have one thats bent at a 45 degree angle. She's my oldest fish and was born that way and swims around very happily.

That's so weird. The only thing I'm concerned about is if this fish grows up and gets another pregnant, I'm gonna have a fish tank full of weird mutated guppies..... I had a vision more of blue fan flowing tails

Sometimes guppies and other fish will develop deformities, it doesn't mean they can't live a happy life. It depends on the deformity and it's severity. If you aren't using the guppies for breeding I'd just leave it alone. If you are worried about the breeding possibilites then remove it to another tank or give the fish to the lfs or to someone else. I don't think anyone can tell you for sure if the deformity would be passed on to the fry.

If the guppies keep inbreeding the trait will come up more often as they keep breeding with each other.

If the deformity is a result of inbreeding that is true. If it is a random deformity that may not be true. Do you have any idea if inbreeding is the factor in this case?

If the deformity is a result of inbreeding that is true. If it is a random deformity that may not be true. Do you have any idea if inbreeding is the factor in this case?

Yep it is. I really wish they didn't do that because its nasty but unfortunately it's inbreeding. I'm planning on selling off any females as soon as they're mature and keep only males.

If you are planning on selling off the females it won't matter about the deformed fish. You will not have any females for breeding.

Which is what I want. I guess I'll see how the males look and if I'm happy with it, I'll stick with what I've got as to not have any more fish. If however I don't do that, I'll buy a male and female to mix in the gene pool

Back
Top Bottom