Crowded?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yanu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
5Gal tank:
-1 male betta (Lucky One-Fin, I recently adopted him.)
-1 african dwarf frog (unnamed so far, I bought him to keep Lucky One-Fin company, my pet store recommended him as good tank mate for bettas)
-6 tetras (neons, to add a little color and activity, there were a lot of long moments when the frog and betta were just in hiding)
-2 snails (about 1cm each)
-1 dwarf onion plant
-1 banana plant

I just bought the 5Gal about 10 days ago.
I cycled it for a week, using gravel and plants from my established tank, added the betta and the snails, then the frog, then the tetras.
There's a little cave/hidey-spot for them.
Using nothing but what came with it as a starter kit :
15W light
undergravel filter system
It seems to be doing pretty good. It could use a water change already, as I didn't realise how little these fish were going to eat... Compared to....

My other tank is 10Gal:
-2 gourami (blue, but they are a marbled blue, not the tri-spot variety. They were named Bonnie and Clyde... But someone pointed out to me that they are both female. Thelma and Louise)
-2 platyfish (recent additions, not really named yet)
-3 guppies, (female, fancy. Nona, Decima, Morta)
-1 pleco (I don't like the way he looks at me.... I don't know how long I will keep him for. I didn't intend to have him more than a few months anyways)
-6-8 snails, (up to 1cm each, some a little smaller)
-2 dwarf onion plants
-2 banana plants
I use a standard 10Gal hood and light on it.
fluval submersible filter, for tanks up to 12gal
and a submersible heater for tanks up to 15gal

I'm pretty good about the upkeep, I change about 20% of the water weekly, if the tank ever looks dirty or discolored I do a full clean, gravel, plants, tank, equip, etc...

The 5Gal I have taken to throwing a small piece of frozen brine shrimp (I just buy the small cubes, and cut them in half, or near to) about every 2nd morning, and putting in a few betta pellets once a day. and tropical flakes 2 times a day. Not very much though haha, those tetras are nothing.
Once or twice a week, I throw in a few crumbs from a spirulina wafer.
The 10gal, I throw about a half cube of brine shrimp in every morning, and occasionally in the evening if my fish seem to be hungrier than usual. I also use spirulina wafers, i break them in half and throw half in every morning.
And these guys get 2-3 fairly generous helpings of tropical flakes every day. Sometimes more, if they just eat it all real quick, I usually give them a little bit extra. Those gouramis have big appetites, and they sort of ninja all the food to themselves

Also, since I am new, I just want to say hello to everyone, even though technically this is the wrong thread for introducing myself. :)

Hi and first of all welcome to AA. I would say your 5g tank is overcrowded, but that is just my opinion...if I was going to have that many critters in a 5g tank I would be doing at least 50% water changes every week or 2-3 smaller changes during the week. I have just one dwarf african clawed frog in a 5g and haven't considered adding fish at this point. Just the betta and the frog are enough for the 5g, I think having the neons is overcrowding that tank. For the 10g, I don't know a lot about gouramis and how big they get or what kind of pleco you have. Unless the pleco is of a dwarf variety you probably got one that will outgrow most small tanks. When you say you didn't intend to have the pleco for more than a few months anyway, what exactly does that mean? Are you returning him to the petstore you got him at, do you have someone that wants a bigger fish? I try to do a lot of research on each fish I get before I buy them so I know what I am getting myself into with a certain species, i.e. how big they are going to get, what they eat, what are their general temperments, etc. so both the fish and I are happy with their new home. Also, with your 10g I would do at least a 50% water change weekly or 2-3 smaller ones during the week. When you say you feed 2-3 generous helpings a day to these fish, how much exactly, as overfeeding can cause water issues to arise?

Well unfortunately, at some point last night Lucky One-Fin passed away.
I had been trying to adopt him from my sister for a long time (ever since she ripped his fin off while catching him to clean his gravel.... There was a lot of crying. My brother is all "It's just a fish". So we beat him up...) and to be honest I think he died of exhaustion. She bought him in a tiny 4 inch bag, and kept him in a 1/2 gallon of water his whole life (I truly feel for bettas). He seemed to be having a really good time, and him and the frog seemed to be buddies.
I think the switch to 5 gallons wore him out. Between his missing fin and his complete lack of excercise up until that point in his life, he was doomed I guess. You could tell for the first few hours that he was struggling a bit swimming across the tank. He seemed to get better at it quite quickly though. I should have started him in 2gal on his own, then every week added another gal.... Maybe would have given him more time to work up some strength. I did readings on the water after discovering his body.
Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrites 0ppm, Nitrates 5ppm, PH 7.0 (my water comes from the tap at 7.0 and I have never added anything to mess with the PH, it's never been an issue)

As for the pleco.... I'm kind of holding him for someone. Someone who might not be coming back for him? I believe he is a bristlenose. I don't like him.
He stares me down all the time.

As for feeding, generally me and the kids will sit there and watch them eat....
Within about 4-5 minutes, if they stop eating, we stop feeding.
I notice sometimes they are really hungry and other times not really interested. Soon the oldest two will be ready to have their own little tanks, so I want them to practice up, and see how long the interest lasts for. So far all the kids are still pretty interested, even the littlest one. She loves "pishies". I love pishies too.

So now the 5gal just has the frog and 6 of the tiniest neon tetras I have ever seen. And the 10gal is the same.

The bristlenose won't get very big, but would maybe be happier in a larger tank. See if your lfs will take him on trade or just you giving him to them to sell.

Back
Top Bottom