Crushed coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I finally picked up some crushed coral last night to help with my super low PH. Hopefully I can get this fricken tank cycled now.

My question is though how much do I use? I have stuffed a handful or 2 in a media bag and put that in my filter. How long will it take for me to notice a difference? I put it in about 18 hours ago and still no difference.

Also once I get this sorted out how often do I need to change it out?

It's a 30 gallon tank and my PH is at 6.0.. though that's the lowest the test can go so who knows.

The brand is coraline.

Did you put the CC in the filter or hang it under the filter overflow? That is where it will do the best. Also you can add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to the tank (dissolved first in a small cup of tank water) to give an immediate boost. You should see the ph change in 12-24 hours. With CC you will have to monitor your Ph and add or subtract the amount of CC you use until you find the right amount to use to keep the Ph at the level you want it.

Did you put the CC in the filter or hang it under the filter overflow? That is where it will do the best. Also you can add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to the tank (dissolved first in a small cup of tank water) to give an immediate boost. You should see the ph change in 12-24 hours. With CC you will have to monitor your Ph and add or subtract the amount of CC you use until you find the right amount to use to keep the Ph at the level you want it.

I am running hobs and have it he filter. On the right beside he media cartridges as its the only free area. Do you mean I should try and rig it up under the outflow?

I've ever heard hat about baking soda. How long does it last for. My tap ph as dropped to 6. Over a month ago. I can't get it higher even with gas off so this is prob going to be long term.

So I'm assuming you have a low Kh and Gh? Your actual tap water is that low? If so you might be better off treating your tap water like RO and use a product like Seachems Equalibrium that adds minerals back into your water. You'd need to use it with each water change but it could make things alot easier for you. Baking soda will last until the water uses the buffer it adds up.

Back
Top Bottom