crushed coral from saltwater tank re-used in freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sandy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm getting ready to get the old 75 gallon saltwater tank setup out of the barn and set it up as a freshwater tank.

My question is - Can I use the crushed coral gravel with freshwater? A large part of its purpose in the saltwater tank was to buffer the water's pH and I don't know if it would dissolve into freshwater creating a problem. Also, what about the coral I've collected?

Thanks

Whole and crushed coral will dissolve into the freshwater and raise the pH to levels that most freshwater fish could not tolerate. However, if you are planning to keep East African cichlids which actually prefer hard, alkaline water, the use of coral would be OK.

Remember to test your tank for leaks before setting it up. Fluctuating temperatures can play havoc with aquarium silicone seals.

i have heard of others doing this and the main prob was that the water became cloudy from the coral dissolving.. this might not happen every time but thats just what i heard..

Thanks for the sound advice. I'll buy new gravel if we go with freshwater. My family is trying to talk me into saltwater again. Hmmmmm.

I used crushed coral in my filters for my African tank, and coral rock decorations, as I keep my pH raised and buffered with it. I do not have problems with cloudiness, but there is a sandy debris that accumulates, which is fine because I have buffering sand in there as well. If you have kept SW and would like colorful FW fish, there are many Africans that rival the beauty of SW fish, so this might be a way to go. If you already have hard, alkaline tap water it is easier to keep Africans, as well.

Back
Top Bottom