Crushed Coral in Freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caudelfin

Aquarium Advice Regular
A friend closed down his Marine tank and gave me a bag of crushed coral to use as gravel in the bottom of my tank. My water is already too soft and the pH is below 7.0. Will the coral cause any problems.
caudelfin

What kind of fish do you have? Are you using an UGF? The UGF will increase the intensity of the cc. Some fish will appreciate the higher pH and hardness.

mentallylost said:
The crushed coral is a good thing for you. It helps to raise the ph. But it really depends on the kind of fish that you want to keep.

In this tank -a 29 gallon I am keeping Swordtails, Platys and some Zebra Danios and some fancy tail (looks like comet goldfish tails) fish that look like they could be Zebras. Perhaps a morph.

However I am preparing my 90 gallon and would like to discuss with you they fish you keep in your 80 gallon tank. I will take out my Aquarium Atlas and see what they look like. And perhaps the volume by Dr. Axelrod will help also.
caudelfin

PH below 7 is not a bad thing...and if your going to inject CO2 you just need to get your KH up to 3 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: carefull with that CC...

What questions do you have? If I was to do it again I would leave out the Julidochromis Marlieri (Gombe). The Marlieri's and the Multies tend not to get along all that well.

Back
Top Bottom