Crystal clear water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anybody got tips on how to get my water crystal clear. I have an aquaclear 50 powerfilter for a 29 gallon. The tank is about 4 months old but only cycled for a week because i didnt really know i needed to for longer. Will plants help?! I really want it super clear.

Most of the time a tank is cloudy because it is not cycled. I would say cycle it all the way, and see what happens then. If it doesn't get better, try putting carbon in the filter.

Its already stocked and ive tried carbon. There are tons on little white specs in there and just a little cloudy white. Im running a sponge, floss from a whisper cartrige i had, and bio media.

Once its cycled put some fine filter wool in your filter for a while. Just make sure it doesn't clog and cause a flood!

I see a good amount o bacteria on the bio balls and a lot on the sponge too

TigerBarbs said:

Would you explain how you "see" bacteria? Bacteria are microscopic and invisible to the naked eye. Even with an off-the-mill microscope you'd probably have trouble seeing anything. I guess what you see is debris, dirt and algae!

TigerBarbs said:

I doubt it is bacteria that you're seeing. Its most likely gunk or algae.

TigerBarbs said:
Wouldnt the floss from the whisper cartrige catch it?

The bacteria doesn't live in the water.... it lives in your bio media. Do u have bio media?

If the tank is 4 months old it's cycled by now. Just don't replace your filter media. You may want to swish it in old tank water during water changes to remove any waste/food/etc particles that have built up and may be getting back into your water. Also what's your water change schedule/frequency? A regular weekly water change schedule of 50% with a substrate vacuum should keep things pretty clean; it may be as simple as upping your cleaning frequency. What do the white particles look like? Do you have micro bubbles from your filter or an air stone, that can make water look cloudy as well.

And BB lives on all filter media, including filter pads, sponges, etc., not just ceramic media.

Yes i said i have the bio meadia up in the thread a little bit and i cant describe tjem cus there too small. I do about a 25% water change once a week with a gravel vac to get the poop out

librarygirl said:
If the tank is 4 months old it's cycled by now. Just don't replace your filter media. You may want to swish it in old tank water during water changes to remove any waste/food/etc particles that have built up and may be getting back into your water. Also what's your water change schedule/frequency? A regular weekly water change schedule of 50% with a substrate vacuum should keep things pretty clean; it may be as simple as upping your cleaning frequency. What do the white particles look like? Do you have micro bubbles from your filter or an air stone, that can make water look cloudy as well.

And BB lives on all filter media, including filter pads, sponges, etc., not just ceramic media.

Actually, before I knew about cycling, my ten gallon was never cycled until after 6 months.

Finally got my water really clear! But it took a daily water change of 20% 2 days in a row with vacing the bottom. Is this what its gonna take to have super clear water?

Get some filter floss and add it too your filter chamber. Last chamber or so water hits it last in the filter as it will trap large particles too blocking up unless they are taken by previous filtration. It's made my water crystal without any extra effort than what I'm doing normally. Works wonders.

If you don't normally keep up on weekly water changes and gravel vacuuming, then yes probably. With a good weekly water change schedule of 50% (1x per week, or two smaller changes of 20-30% twice per week) and gravel vac each time) you should be able to kee your water clean and clear. The filter floss might help too but I think I read you already use some? This is probably just a case of not enough water maintenance.

I use some Seachem purigen and it really works to clear the water. Although not the cheapest product around, it does the job very well.

Back
Top Bottom