Crystal Clear water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Relic1882

Aquarium Advice Regular
After a cycle is completed, what's the absolute best method to make the water in a tank absolutely crystal clear. I don't overfeed I'm pretty sure. My levels seem to be lowering too. :)

Try adding 1" of filter floss to your filter. Removes the tiniest particle to polish the water.

Filter floss is great for polishing water to get little floaties out of it. Past that, patience and a good tank maintenence schedule are the best ways to get perfect water. Even once the tank is finished cycling, the bacteria colonies still mature some and become even better at breaking down waste.

A diatom filter can make some water sparkle. However, they are rather spendy.

Pufferpunk said:
Try adding 1" of filter floss to your filter. Removes the tiniest particle to polish the water.

My water is crystal clear but I'm just wondering, where do you put the 1" of filter floss? I have two filters.. an AC500 and an EMP400

Thanks
-Dan

In my AC filters I have sponge on bottom, floss in the middle & a bag of BioMax on top.

Periodic use of a diatom filter will make that water sparkling clean... So clean you'd think the fish are floating in mid air... Nothing will polishes water like a diatom filter if you don't mind spending the coin 8) I use a Vortex Xl on my 90 gal every week/2 weeks and love the results. It's great to use a day or two before you have company comming over to help "show off" your tank. (as far as the diatom powder goes... here in Calgary you'd pay about $30.00 for 5lb box of powder from Vortex... but I pick the stuff up at a pool supply store for $25.00 for a 25lb sac.... same exact stuff- way better bang for the buck- just be sure to read the label carefully as some brands for pools/hottubs will have additives.

grimlock3000 said:
patience and a good tank maintenence schedule are the best ways to get perfect water. Even once the tank is finished cycling, the bacteria colonies still mature some and become even better at breaking down waste.
this would be my opinion as well!

I also use Seachem Purigen in my tank.
I've been using it for about a month now
I've definitely seen some great results.

-Dannnnn

I just went to recycle my Purigen and the dang bag burst in the bleach. Couldn't they have made a better container. Jeff

It just burst in the bleach??!! Thats really odd...

Are you using an amine based dechlorinator or anything with polymers? This COULD have been your problem. I'm not sure.

I'm using 'the bag' by seachem. It SAYS its fine with bleach, lets hope it is when it comes time to rejuvenate.

Lemme know..
Thnx
-Dan

Back
Top Bottom