Culturing daphnia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
err... i just put em in a jar and every time i cleaned out the algae in my tank id squeeze it in there. but then i neglected them and all the water evaporated :cry: .. this fall im going back tor cok river to get me some more

greenmagi said:
Is aquabid it?

No, you can usually get them from scientific supply companies, and there are a few online aquarium supply places that sell daphnia cultures as well.

Personally, I just go scoop up a bunch from a local small pond, throiw them in a rubbermaid tub in my backyard with some pondwater and some plants (usually some hornwart), and make sure it gets lots of direct sunlight.

I cant have open water were I live, Health Department inspects the place, there afraid of mosquitoes and such.. guess Id be stuck with indoor culturing.. Java fern sound good? Ill have to create the conditions for green water, Ive never had it in one of my aquariums before.. go figure.. :D

Mobile Home Park in Kentucky.. cant have lumber directly on the ground for building projects.. must be elevated off the ground at least 6inchs. No old tires, the list goes on and on.. strict.. I know.. I assume they think that no one knows how to prevent there pond "outdoor container because god forbid someone dig a hole!!" from becoming a breading ground for malaria! :evil: :evil:

anyone have experience with indoor culturing in a tank.. on purpose..lol. to get green water I should just put the lights on for too long and not change the water or something... as I have not had green water before im just asking.. is there a temperature that they do better at, ie they reproduce faster without killing them of course. :D

i usually just wipe of the algae in my tank with a paper towel and squeeze the stuffinto the jar

I would like to produce green water conditions for the tank, for the daphnia(water fleas) of course.. anyone have green water problems before and know what caused it? I dont get algae even.. so wiping it off to put it in the "jar" wouldnt normaly work for me..

extra nitrates and high lighting..

and daphnia are very sensitive to water conditions so you needa use old tank water.

Back
Top Bottom