Curious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been told that BB is not in the water column. If that is really true, I am curious to why we test our water for ammo, trites, and trates regularly if they aren't present?

I have been told that BB is not in the water column. If that is really true, why do we test our water for ammo, trites, and trates regularly if they aren't present?

I'm not following... Your BB (beneficial bacteria) is on your media, rocks, driftwood, plants, etc. it isn't entirely "free floating" so... Your testing your water for harmful things or harmful levels like ammonia, nitrAtes, nitrites, pH etc...

You wouldn't test water for BB, I don't even know if they have a test for that.

Parasites, algae and such are "free floating"

NitrAtes, Nitrites, Ammonia, etc etc etc aren't your BB (beneficial bacteria)

If I'm wrong I'm sure others will chime in. I didn't really understand the question though. The way I read it, it sounds like you think the above mentioned parameters are BB?

Last edited:
I'm not following... Your BB (beneficial bacteria) is on your media, rocks, driftwood, plants, etc. it isn't entirely "free floating" so... Your testing your water for harmful things like ammonia, nitrAtes, nitrites, pH etc...

You wouldn't test water for BB, I don't even know if they have a test for that.

Parasites, algae and such are "free floating"

NitrAtes, Nitrites, Ammonia, etc etc etc aren't your BB (beneficial bacteria)

If I'm wrong I'm sure others will chime in. I didn't really understand the question though. The way I read it, it sounds like you think the above mentioned parameters are BB?

No you understand my question and you answered it...I understand and remember now...I don't know why I thought the BB was our trates:facepalm:....thanks for the quick reminder/reply..(y)

Back
Top Bottom