Current strength

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's dependent on the type of fish. Some fish like strong currents, others don't. If you have fish that have large, flowing fins, you typically don't want too strong a flow (it'd be like sticking your head out the window of your car at 65mph).

Tetras do okay with a decent current? Cory cats too? I don't think the current is to bad. The sand is barely moving. The top of the water towards the front is moving a little fast but the rest isn't to bad. It's a powerhead filter.

I have a 220g with 4 canister filters and 2 larger PH's which gives a nice current. I have angels, tetras, threadfin rainbows, cory's, etc. Let the fish decide by you observing them before attempting to alter it.

I've been in the hobby since the 70's so have learned a few things along the way... lol!

You could try dropping a few fish flakes in the water and observe where they go. It can help determine where high flow areas and dead spots are.

Since it is a tall tank, the current wont do much on the bottom, the current will flow from the surface and barely reach the bottom alongside the glass. I strongly suggest you get an ADDITIONAL under gravel filter or at least a powerhead to discourage stagnant areas.

Back
Top Bottom