Current too strong??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 5 gallon tank that has a Aqua Tech filter (takes cartridge 1) and I have a Beta and 3 Tetras (Tetras have that zebra colored tail and red on their heads) and the Beta seems fine, other than looking around at the side of the tank every so often, but the tetras, all 3 actually, are being pushed to the left side of the tank, and my filter is on the right. I turned off the filter and then they swim freely and fine, but with the filter on, they are being pushed back, and they are struggling to go to the right of the tank. Is this current too strong?? Should I leave the filter off?? I hate to see them struggle.

I have the same 5G and filter you have. I don't have any fishes yet (fishless cycling) but I would say keep the water level close to the filter outflow so the current will not be too strong for the tetras...JMHO.

I know I really should leave the filter on, But I also hate to see the Tetras suffer. I think I will try what that link says to do. But is that plastic safe to use?

Yes, rinse well with hot water, don't use anything else on it. I'm not trying to be harsh here but you don't have a lot of choice, you leave the filter on or your fish are doomed.

Back
Top Bottom