Cut on finger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishGirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a cut on my finger. It's not bleeding but I just got it last night. Are my fish gonna be okay with an open wound like that? It won't harm my fish will it?
img_2634280_0_983f05f271bb4a5526fe986894d91840.jpg

Na you should be fine, I got a cut from a sword a couple of months ago, and I did get a big gash, well, I was doing a water change and it opened, so my fish came running to try and see if something was dead, it was funny, they tried to attack my hand when I put it in, should be ok though

I've never been concerned with my cut giving the fish something. I'm more concerned working in tank water with an open wound for getting it infected. Your fish should be fine. Usually a cut closes is a couple of days if it s not that large. Just wash your hands and rinse well before and after working in tank and you should be fine. The one exception would be if you think there is any chance of your fish having TB.

+1 i was watching monsters inside me and a girl got cut in her tank, and ended up getting a flesh eating parasite from it....

I have a cut on my finger. It's not bleeding but I just got it last night. Are my fish gonna be okay with an open wound like that? It won't harm my fish will it?

I have to start by saying I am far from concerned for myself about catching anything from my fish. I've been around them long enough that I almost challenge any organism to get into my bloodstream and survive. LOL :brows: But that's for ME and me only.

Let me follow by saying that I am far from a Doom's Day, Henny Penny, the sky is falling, totally paranoid kind of person. I play the odds and the odds are in my favor that nothing is going to happen.

That all being said, recently, the odds have changed so the concern is more not what you can give the fish but what the fish can give to you. You may want to read this article:
Tropical fish diseases passed to humans: Humans at risk of impetigo, pneumonia from diseases to drug-resistant tropical fish | Mail Online

Off topic, but I was watching mo monsters inside me once, and saw a story about this Adventure tourist in the amazon. And he was peeing in the Amazon river, and out of nowhere, to his surprise, tiny fish swam up his, ummm, pee-stream into his, "you know", and got lodged half way in. He fell over in pain and had to be taken to the hospital for emergency surgery.

Off topic, but I was watching mo monsters inside me once, and saw a story about this Adventure tourist in the amazon. And he was peeing in the Amazon river, and out of nowhere, to his surprise, tiny fish swam up his, ummm, pee-stream into his, "you know", and got lodged half way in. He fell over in pain and had to be taken to the hospital for emergency surgery.

I think that was an episode of River Monsters. Here's the Wikipedia version:

Candiru - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting fish.

I also have one of those cuts that won't heal!!. Get a powder free surgical glove(latex). Put it on, use some sticky tape or rubber band and put it at the bottom of your finger. Carefully cut the glove around the bottom of your finger with some scissors. Your finger will now be sealed from the water....

Attachments

• DSCF8601.jpg
    DSCF8601.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 92
Or there is a FREE and SIMPLE FIX!!!! USE YOUR OTHER HAND!!!! wow, problems solved. I guess i dont understand what the big deal really is?

Or there is a FREE and SIMPLE FIX!!!! USE YOUR OTHER HAND!!!! wow, problems solved. I guess i dont understand what the big deal really is?

Big deals definitely but I wouldnt concern myself UNLESS! This is a wild caught tank THEN super glue the cut! Problem solved and no flesh eating parasites

I actually think its quite a serious topic.

+1 about concerns with wild vs domestic fish tanks.

I saw that episode of flesh eating paracites that girl caught, think she had to have her hand cut off because nothing would stop it.

If possible, cover the wound before doing any fish maintenance that might get it wet and possibly introduce an infection. You would do the same if you were gardening. As Andy pointed out, it is concerning that antibiotic resistant microbes (which have been making headlines in recent years) are now making their appearance in the aquarium trade.

Thanks guys. I wasn't worried about myself though! I was worried about the FISH! :p
Lol screw me I want my FISH to be safe! Haha

I can tell you that it is a big deal especially if you have a compromised immune system yourself. While it is rare to catch a disease from your pets, it IS possible. In my time in the pet trade, I had to get routine vaccinations against diseases the animals I was dealing with MIGHT be carrying. Whenever I had to go to my family Dr. because I was sick, the very first question I was asked was " What animals have you been playing with NOW!!?" lol (BTW, I used to breed and raise Monkeys and they could catch and give germs from me and to me.) With all that is now going on in the fish trade, I'd much rather be dealing with a tank full of wild fish than domesticated fish, with cuts on my hands or arms. The wild diseases should not be resistant to our common meds.

Now you know what the big deal really is. ;)

Thanks guys. I wasn't worried about myself though! I was worried about the FISH! :p
Lol screw me I want my FISH to be safe! Haha

As I had started my post, I wasn't trying to scare you but to educate you. ;)While it is a noble attitude you are taking, once you get sick from a pet, you change your mind. Also, if you take it one step further, how will your fish fare if you get sick from them? Better to be careful that either side does not infect the other. (y) I'm just sayin' :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom