Cuttlebone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do I have to do anything to it before adding it to my aquarium for my snail?

Give it a rinse and add it to the tank. Make sure it doesn't have any metal on it. Sometimes it will have a hanger attached to it if it was intended for birds.

Where is best to place it? I read I can just set it in my filter?

If I notice anything wrong with my fish I will take it out. I just read it was important for mystery snails to have it

If using it for snails you need to place it in the tank. They will crawl over it and eat it. They need it for shell building. You can also feed them Tums or similar antacid tabs, eggshells, or calcium supplements for humans. The ones with vitamin D added are fine. All of my snails like fruit flavored antacid tablets. Even the shrimp and fish fight over it.

If using it for snails you need to place it in the tank. They will crawl over it and eat it. They need it for shell building. You can also feed them Tums or similar antacid tabs, eggshells, or calcium supplements for humans. The ones with vitamin D added are fine. All of my snails like fruit flavored antacid tablets. Even the shrimp and fish fight over it.

Well the probably is the cuttlebone floats!! So I can't make it stay at the bottom for the snail

The snail will get it, don't worry, mine sank down after about 2 or 3 days, don't worry it'll work out

Cuttlebone can be anchored down by a rock. I use liquid calcium personally. My snails didn't seem to care about cuttlebone.

Well I went with the tums and my snail ate some of it and the fish finished it off! How often should I throw in a piece of tums?

Back
Top Bottom