Cyano vapor toxic to humans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just curious..

I had a major Cyano break out in my male betta tank during the night.

This tank is right at the head of my bed, the top of it is right on level with my face, and I woke up this morning violently ill, incredible chest pains, and a myraid of other undescribable symptoms and sensations.

I've never had anything like this in my life, I'm searching for plausible causes.

And this sudden outbreak of Cyano right next to my face the same night I get these problems irked my curiousity.

So has anyone ever heard of someone getting ill from simply the smell or vapors of cyano escaping the tank water?

I'm not sure..but for general hygiene issues it's best to keep your tank a good distance from where you are sleeping. The closest tank I have to my head when I'm sleeping is three feet away.

William, I would think that if you were exposed to it for a long period of time (overnight would qualify), it could definitely make you sick. While it probably isn't toxic enough to kill you, if its bad for the fish its probably bad for us.

Maybe Fruitbat will reply with more concrete info... I'm just guessing! :)

Humans have become ill by ingesting toxins produced by certain Cyanobacteria but the likelihood of suffering any problems from inhaling these toxins is almost undescribably low!

The most common toxin associated with Cyanobacteria is a group of compounds called microcystins. These compounds are hepatotoxins (liver poisons) that have been associated with increased incidence of liver cancer in certain areas of China where people often drink untreated water that suffers Cyanobacterial blooms. There have also been extensive outbreaks of mild to moderate gastroenteritis and gastritis associated with Cyanobacteria 'blooms' in Zimbabwe, Australia and the United States.

Before you rush out to get masks and nuke your tanks with antibiotics it is important to understand that you are at extremely low risk unless you happen to drink your aquarium water when your tank is suffering through a major outbreak of Cyanobacteria (and then only if it happens to be one of the types that produce toxins). The toxins are only released when the bacterial cells are ruptured and the toxins then ingested. If you're concerned about Cyanobacterial toxins in your aquarium then you can add that activated carbon (you know....the stuff you threw out)...back into your filter. It will remove most of the offending compounds.

Interesting observations, William. Although I have heard of toxic algae (cyanobacteria) causing health problems, these relates to eating the algae or its toxin (drinking bad water, or commonly eating contaminated shellfish).

So the first question is - any chance that you might have ingested some tank water - eg, putting hand in tank, then grabbing something to eat?

On first thought, I would not think that inhaling fumes would get you into problems. But I did do a quick google & found this article where there is half a paragraph on inhaling cyano fumes causing asthma like symptoms.

http://www.wcp.net/PDF/0304 On Tap.pdf

My take on this, however, is that this is an allergic reaction to the cyano, like people reacting to ragweed, and not strictly toxicity of the cyano itself.

Anyone has other info?

Fruitbat said:
Humans have become ill by ingesting toxins produced by certain Cyanobacteria but the likelihood of suffering any problems from inhaling these toxins is almost undescribably low!

The most common toxin associated with Cyanobacteria is a group of compounds called microcystins. These compounds are hepatotoxins (liver poisons) that have been associated with increased incidence of liver cancer in certain areas of China where people often drink untreated water that suffers Cyanobacterial blooms. There have also been extensive outbreaks of mild to moderate gastroenteritis and gastritis associated with Cyanobacteria 'blooms' in Zimbabwe, Australia and the United States.

Before you rush out to get masks and nuke your tanks with antibiotics it is important to understand that you are at extremely low risk unless you happen to drink your aquarium water when your tank is suffering through a major outbreak of Cyanobacteria (and then only if it happens to be one of the types that produce toxins). The toxins are only released when the bacterial cells are ruptured and the toxins then ingested. If you're concerned about Cyanobacterial toxins in your aquarium then you can add that activated carbon (you know....the stuff you threw out)...back into your filter. It will remove most of the offending compounds.

Thanks for your post, and I don't plan on getting all paranoid. I good water change or 20 and careful observation of my lighting habbits should suffice to get rid of this naste from my tank

jsoong said:
Interesting observations, William. Although I have heard of toxic algae (cyanobacteria) causing health problems, these relates to eating the algae or its toxin (drinking bad water, or commonly eating contaminated shellfish).

So the first question is - any chance that you might have ingested some tank water - eg, putting hand in tank, then grabbing something to eat?

On first thought, I would not think that inhaling fumes would get you into problems. But I did do a quick google & found this article where there is half a paragraph on inhaling cyano fumes causing asthma like symptoms.

http://www.wcp.net/PDF/0304 On Tap.pdf

My take on this, however, is that this is an allergic reaction to the cyano, like people reacting to ragweed, and not strictly toxicity of the cyano itself.

Anyone has other info?

I am very strict about washing my hands throughly before and after my hands go into the tank water. I don't touch anything with tank water on my hands, specially when its a tank suffering through something like Cyano.

and I doubt its an allergic reaction, since I had it all over my hands the last time I scraped the tank down and sucked up all the cyano.

It was probably just bad timing and a coincidence.

maybe the cyano which could be poisonous attracted another more poisonous algae oe watever and that attracted a more jkjk

just wondering how are you now?? yeah i htink its coincidence... think you fish coulda jumped out pooped in ur hair and then jumped back in :butt: :onfire:

lol those 2 remind me of the rumor that if u farted and then lit a match it would blow up 8P

William, I hope you're feeling better now. I have 2 betta tanks, and they each have cyano in them now. After I cleaned the silk plants, took the heater and filter suction cups off and cleaned them, and then did a water change, my nose burned for an hour, and I had to use my asthma inhaler. So I started dosing erythromycin to get this under control so it dosn't affect me again. The tanks have glass tops, and the odor doesn't escape, but as soon as I lift the lid, the smell is so strong.

If you have asthma or allergies, maybe the cyano bothered you. If you don't, maybe it was something else, but either way, I hope you feel better!

Back
Top Bottom