Cycle Done - Need fish and looking for suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnnyT

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I a newbie with a small 10 gallon tank I bought for my son who is a toddler and gets a kick out of watching fish. I need some hardy, colorful, non-aggressive fish to add to my couple of danios. Any suggestions? :roll: [/b]

Hrm..

Well, Cory Cats will give you a create show, Depending on species they get anywhere from 1 to 3 inches long at maturity and bottom feed. Hyper little buggers to.

Mollies are nice to, altho need some salt in the water to be happy [ altho they can be content in pure freshwater ], But I have trouble keeping them alive, so I don't know about over in your area ow the stock is.

Fiddler Crabs [ You knew I was going to suggest this Alli ;) ] are always great, Just have some way for them to get above the surface of the water.

Lemon red eye tetras are colorfull. Neons are red and blue. Red wag platies are red with black tails and readily reproduce with live young (not eggs) which could be good or bad. Of coarse if you leave the fry in you may not even notice them.
Do not get painted glass fish. I saw them at a LFS yesterday and wanted to free them all but was pretty sure they wouldn't get to far.

I'm a newbie with a 20G tank I got for my two little girls, who love to watch the fish.

I have 3 Black Mollies which seem to have the most personality; 1 male and 2 females. I've had fry but they seem to have all been eaten. I have 5 Red Wag Platies (2 male, 3 female) which are pretty fun, too--they are bright so my 17-mos old can see them quickly. They've also had fry but are gone. My 2 Cories are alright--all they do is suck on everything in the tank.

So far these 3 fish have been pretty easy to take care of, other than the usual challenges of cycling the tank. A few fish have had ick, and there was 1 platy casualty, but now they are getting treated so they are happy and zooming around.

Have fun selecting your fish! Also, my advice...if your LFS is something like PetSmart or Petco, I would do more research online for which fish are really compatible with what. It's not just temperament and behavior but water conditions that need looking into. The people I've had at those stores seem to have limited knowledge. Just my 2 cents...

Good luck!

Scottw68TN said:
Do not get painted glass fish.

Why? Are they bad? I have 4 of them and need to know cause I will get them out of my main tank if they are bad to have.

I like the idea of a fiddler crab (they do eat fish sometimes, don't they, William?) or maybe a dwarf African frog, since this is a tank for a child. When my toddlers go to the LFS with me they really gravitate towards the frogs and the crabs. It will be easy to overstock this tank, so fewer fish will make it easier to maintain water quality. A dwarf gourami is colorful and does not need a whole lotta room, or even a male betta. I think I love thinking of ways to stock tanks as much as I love keeping them! :D

Back
Top Bottom