Cycle is complete...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

westward13

Aquarium Advice Regular
For those of you that helped me through my first 5 weeks with your advice and feedback... thank you again. My nitrogen cycle is now complete and I'm ready to add a few more fish. Unfortunately, my fiancee isn't very thrilled about me getting a second tank (even just a 10 gallon) so I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to get an aquarium to use as a quarantine tank. Is it definitely a really bad idea to add new fish directly into the main tank (75 gallon)? I realize that it increases the risk of infection to the tank and increases the out-of-pocket costs to cure any ailments since the large tank would require treatment but is it an absolute no-no in the hobby?

but is it an absolute no-no in the hobby?
No, people do it all the time. However, were something come into the tank, a 75 gal would be expensive to treat. Pick your fish carefully and ask your LFS if they QT. You can tell a good LFS from bad. Stick with your instincts--if something is not right, that fish doesn't come home with you.

I plan to get a Common Pleco and most likely a Rhino/Chocolate Pleco... I really really want to get a couple of Black Fin/Columbian Sharks but from the research I've done, they require brackish or saltwater as they mature so I won't be doing that. I also plan to add a Senegal Bichir but it's probably a little too soon. Hmm...

Back
Top Bottom