Cycle is complete!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CiscoKid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well it took 7 weeks to complete, but I am happy to report success. Zero ammonia and nitrites, nitrates are at 20. Time for new community members. (I will be adding them slowly and monitoring ammonia)
Currently I have 2 danios, 1 pleco and 9 neons. Suggestions for what else to add? We were thinking a few angels but I hear they are fond of neons, the taste of neons I should say. Also I was wondering what your experience has been with algae. I have no live plants in a 55 gallon. Will the one pleco be able to keep up with the housekeeping or should I add additional algae eaters of some type.
Thanks again for all the help.

Congrats on successfully completing your cycle. It took me nearly 12 weeks but i had some filter problems that i was not aware of. It can be a rather confusing time when your cycling. I have a 20gal with 3 red minor tetra's, 3 long finned leopard danio's, 4 rasbora's, 1 male gouramis, and 1 betta which is soon to get his own tank. I have had no problems whatsoever!!! I've been so lucky to just start up and go like this! I did lose my male danio about 2 weeks ago. I have no idea what was wrong with him, had no appearance of any sickness. That is the only fish i've lost. As far as algae, well, i get the pain in the but brown algae but it is slowing down now and does not come so fast anymore. I guess the tank is becoming not so new anymore. You'll probly see it for a little while if your tank is new and plastic really attracts the brown stuff!! I have a rubber lip pleco cause i was gonna switch over to live plants but have to get a whole new hood setup to accomodate for lighting and its gonna run into some bucks! The rubberlip has done nothing for my tank and if he has it's things i can't see. He doesn't even go near my fake plants which is where the problem is. I don't know if other pleco's are different though. Otocinculus are supposed to be good for the brown algae and would probly do better, i'm gonna get some this weekend and see. I hope this helps you out.

Back
Top Bottom