Cycle issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try raising temp to 77F - more into the optimum range for BB
Is pH still steady? Problem here is that the optimum pH is different for the two types of bacteria, but around 7.5 is a happy medium.
What is the hardness of your water too?
Also, how much and how often are you feeding.

I have been running temp at 75. pH has been steady 7.4.
I feed 2 times a day, once in the morning and nice at night. I don't feed them a lot either!
As far as hardness, I have no idea, we have city water and I don't have a test for that and never have been asked that before.

Ok I've had 0 NitrItes for over a week, 20-40 NitrAtes but still getting between .25-1.0 ammonia. I'm over a month into fish in cycle, why won't ammonia go away. I think my bio filter is good by looking at the other numbers!!!
I have been doing 50% WCs every day for the last few weeks.

Hi, just in case - are you testing before or after a pwc?

and have you checked your tap water for ammonia?

Edit: have you checked tap for nitrate?

Last edited:
I have been running temp at 75. pH has been steady 7.4.
I feed 2 times a day, once in the morning and nice at night. I don't feed them a lot either!
As far as hardness, I have no idea, we have city water and I don't have a test for that and never have been asked that before.

Reason I ask about hardness and pH is that Nitrosomnas bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite prefer pH 7.8- 8.0 for optimum reproduction. The pH is related to hardness , so was wondering if your pH had dropped any since the cycle matured. Do you know the pH of your city water? If it is higher than the tank, then this is due to the BB using the carbonates (calcium and sodium) in the tank.

Ok, try testing for ammonia first thing in the morning BEFORE feeding and then before the first of the evening feeds, then lastly, about 2 hours after the last feed if possible. See if we can see a pattern here.

Could be worth taking the noodles out of the bag if it looks like water flow is around the bag and not through.

I agree, that is a fine mesh back and will develop a film that will reduce flow through the ...erm.... noodles? Is that what you guys call them? :huh:

I agree, that is a fine mesh back and will develop a film that will reduce flow through the ...erm.... noodles? Is that what you guys call them? :huh:

Lol, I think aqua one calls them that on their product list. Not sure where I picked up the name but it sounds scientific ... :). I like them a lot as I can stack them vertical to get good flow but still get more in. Possibly I have too much time on my hands...

This is driving me nuts!!! Still having ammonia issues and nitrites at 0!
I do daily 50% WC to get ammonia down but haven't seen any nitrites in weeks!
What am I missing!!
Temp steady at 75
pH steady at 7.4
Ammonia runs around .50, after a WC not much change.
Fish seem ok but am I stressing them out as much as myself with all these wc's??

29 gal biocube, 5 white cloud minnows. I use prime every WC
NitrAtes 20-40
Fake plants
Gravel substrate
Feed 2x /daily freeze dried bloodworms, sometimes tetra flake

This is driving me nuts!!! Still having ammonia issues and nitrites at 0!
I do daily 50% WC to get ammonia down but haven't seen any nitrites in weeks!
What am I missing!!
Temp steady at 75
pH steady at 7.4
Ammonia runs around .50, after a WC not much change.
Fish seem ok but am I stressing them out as much as myself with all these wc's??

Hmm, well looking at these numbers, it looks cycled. Nitrite is down and you have nitrates. Ammonia seems the strange one? Catching up on this.

Was there any nitrate in your tap water to double check? Also was there 0.25 ammonia in tap still?

The tank ammonia was 0.5 just before a water change? Is the 0.5 after a lighter colour at all?

Filter is filter floss, then purigen then bio-noodles. The filter floss has been there for about 5 weeks and the noodles for two weeks? Has the purigen changed colour to go darker at all as waste is absorbed?

There are no nitrites or nitrates in tap water, ammonia was 0 last I checked.
The ammonia did come down from .50 to .25 after a 75% WC.
I changed the floss last night, it was filthy. The purigen doesn't appear to be any different color and the water has been crystal clear.
After the WC last night the fish seemed to be acting strange, maybe it was too much. I'll keep an eye out today to see if they straighten out.

There are no nitrites or nitrates in tap water, ammonia was 0 last I checked.
The ammonia did come down from .50 to .25 after a 75% WC.
I changed the floss last night, it was filthy. The purigen doesn't appear to be any different color and the water has been crystal clear.
After the WC last night the fish seemed to be acting strange, maybe it was too much. I'll keep an eye out today to see if they straighten out.

Might have been to.

I don't use purigen so not sure of the effect on a cycling tank. Could be worth a separate post. Sounds like it is still going strong.

It's almost like you are getting mini-cycles or something. I'm kind of wondering if the changes to the filter has done something. The bb can populate carbon so perhaps you lost some with removing the chemipure. Well the noodles should do it and the bb should catch up, just takes time. Tank specs sound fine.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I've messed with the filter too much. Just going to leave it alone and see what happens.
Although I appreciate all the advice on here and can certainly use it, it does get overwhelming at times with all the different opinions on how to do something, I'm learning that nothing is cut and dry!!
Thanks for the help

When I got my two turtles a new tank, I popped their old (cycled) filter straight on to it without cleaning it. 3 weeks in I still get 0.25ppm ammonia readings, so I changed out some of the media for more bio media. I also impulse bought another fluval 406 whilst on holiday (it was so cheap I couldn't help myself), which is being setup as 75% bio media.

I know turtles are a lot less susceptible when it comes to water quality, but just figured I'd let you know that it does happen when you have a larger ammonia source than what the tank was used to.

During the holiday I neglected the tank and after checking this morning the ammonia AND Nitrites were at 1.0.
I just finished a BIG water change so I hope this takes care of it( 80% )
I was also showing 20-30 on Nitrates so I hope I didn't hurt the bb.

Back
Top Bottom