Cycle - pros and cons.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ky'smommy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have been using cycle forever.
i also have been reading alot of post on how useless this is.
so am i just wasting money or not.
i figure since its already cycled it shouldnt be a problem?

I think it's a complete waste of money. If you are using it in your tank that is already cycled, I'd stop. No reason for it. I don't believe the product has any usage in an uncycled tank.

Cycle is just that a cycle for your NEW tank. In older tanks it is simply a stress reducer if that. BUT it is a wonderful product for people who dont have a lot of time to set up a tank

enjoy

Cycle is a complete waste of money and time! I tired it and it did not help at all in the first tank that I cycled. I work in a laboratory and had our Microbiology Dept. culture it to see it it actually grows out bacteria. The result of the test is that yes it does have bacteria in it but its not much.

Your best bet and cheapest route is to get used media from an already established/cycled tank if you want to speed up the process.

Once your tank is cycled there is no need to continue to use any cycle products. The filter and your gravel substrate will maintain your beneficial bacteria.

Most here seem to have low opinions on the product. I have only used it once when I started up my last new tank. Since I did not set up an identical tank with the same variables I can't make any reasonable claim to whether it worked or not :wink: . However with a "team" of zebra danios, no water changes, and dosing of cycle my tank was cycled in approximately 19 days. I did not test between day 16 and 19, so may have been sooner. My worst readings were ammonia: 0.25, nitrite 0.5, and nitrate 5. Since day 19 my readings (over 1 year 4 months) have been zero across the board every time I have tested. Now is it needed to cycle of course not, used filter media, substrate, etc... is typically free.

I used Cycle when I first set up the tank - it did nothing at all

4 wks later after getting impatient with the fishless cycle I used Bio-Spira : worked great to get the nitrites converted and finish the cycle

I found cycle to be a complete waste of time and money. When I first started out in this hobby I used it on my 29 gal, it did not speed up my cycle at all.

Back
Top Bottom