cycle with dead fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molliwopp

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a pristella tetra that died this afternoon, im cycling a new tank and deciding if i should just throw my fish into the tank and leave it for a month. What do you think?

One small fish is not going to be enough to cycle a tank and personally I wouldn't want to cycle a tank with dead fish, but hey that's just me.

It's not that different than using shrimp or other forms. It just doesn't seem that usual.

Try the ammonia route, seems to work pretty well.

OP you have other tanks don't you? If so why don't you add some seeded media to the filter in your new tank and get a couple fish. Or just put the new filter on your established tank for about a month and let it get seeded.

OP you have other tanks don't you? If so why don't you add some seeded media to the filter in your new tank and get a couple fish. Or just put the new filter on your established tank for about a month and let it get seeded.

Yeah i do have other tanks and filters ect and never have any trouble cycling. Im dosing ammonia based biomature at the moment which ive used before as ammonia isnt sold pure over her in the UK. Thought i could make the cycle more interesting and hassle free. Thought about popping it in and leaving it a month.

Just wanted peoples opinions on it.

The fish is so tiny I really seriously doubt it's going to add much but hey if you want to put it in there it's not going to hurt as long as it was healthy when it died. You do need to take that into consideration.

Back
Top Bottom