cycled but still cloudy??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldylox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think my tank is cycled or at least very close to it. My levels are as follows:
pH - 7.6 (it has always been 7.6)
Ammonia - 0.6
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

The water is still cloudy though. Why is this?

BTW I have had my 55 gal tank for about a month now and I have 6 fish in it (4 tetras and 2 gouramis). I cycled the tank with the fish in it.

It doesn't look like your tank is cycled. It actually looks like it is just beginnning the process.

A cycled tank will have 0 ammonia, 0 NitrItes and a NitrAte reading.

I'm thinking you don't have enough fish in your tank to really cycle it, since it is a 55 gallon. I would suggest you retest your water again and add a couple of more fish.

The ammonia was at a much higher level about two weeks ago and there was also measurable nitrite at that time. Around that time one of my fish died so I was assuming it was because the nitrite had spiked.
How many fish should I add? Two, three?

I wouldn't add any just yet until that ammonia gets down to undetectable. But just out of curiosity, what are you thinking of adding?

Ok, well that is a different story.

There is definitely something going on in your tank. Once your nitrite zero's out you should be getting a NitrAte reading. Are you?

Back
Top Bottom