Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
I been fish-less cycling since October 4, 2012 on my 40B. I am curious if my nitrites ares so so high, not only because of them being 5.0+ but also because I accidently overdosed my tank last night to 8.0+ and I was too sleepy to do a PWC, so I got up and I decided to test everything before doing a pwc and I couldn't believe all that ammo was just about gone. So what is the next best thing to do here?...

Attachments

• 20121021_091530.jpg
    20121021_091530.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20121021_091449.jpg
    20121021_091449.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 72
I would do a 50 percent water change and re-dose the ammonia. It looks as if your pH might be starting to fall which means you need to restore the buffers in your water by doing a water change. Also, you have too many nitrites to measure so a 50 percent water change isn't going to hurt that. You won't be able to know if your tank can convert the proper amount of nitrite to be cycled if your nitrite level is too high.

I would do a 50 percent water change and re-dose the ammonia. It looks as if your pH might be starting to fall which means you need to restore the buffers in your water by doing a water change. Also, you have too many nitrites to measure so a 50 percent water change isn't going to hurt that. You won't be able to know if your tank can convert the proper amount of nitrite to be cycled if your nitrite level is too high.

Laser where have you been this whole time I been cycling I have been trying to find someone that would take the time to explain as I go....

Okay I am doing the 50%PWC; meanwhile, I checked both PH (high and low) and it is where it has always been 7.4...my 55 cycled tank is 74 also and my fish-in 5g is 7.4...but thanks for making me check that because I don't check that every time I test...it needed to be done ty again:)
will post in 30 minutes new results

Attachments

• 20121021_100305.jpg
    20121021_100305.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 20121021_100313.jpg
    20121021_100313.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 51
I must have misjudged the pH level from the picture. Anyway, I think a water change was a good idea. Some may not think it was necessary but I'm sure most will agree it won't hurt, especially since you dosed up to 8 ppm and it was almost all converted, meaning that your nitrites would be immeasurable for quite some time.

I would test pH whenever you test because if that starts to drop the cycle can stall if you don't do a water change. Also, don't forget to sprinkle a tiny amount of crushed food after the change.

How long have the nitrites been that high? High nitrites for a while can stall the cycle, but the nitrite phase is the longest and can take about 3 weeks on its own before it falls. Right now you're just waiting for nitrites to drop to 0 then you'll be cycled. A water change won't hurt no; and if nitrites have been 5+ for a week or more a water change could be a good idea. Try to get them to a readable level on the chart (<2) so you'll know how much they've risen after you redose ammonia.

How long have the nitrites been that high? High nitrites for a while can stall the cycle, but the nitrite phase is the longest and can take about 3 weeks on its own before it falls. Right now you're just waiting for nitrites to drop to 0 then you'll be cycled. A water change won't hurt no; and if nitrites have been 5+ for a week or more a water change could be a good idea. Try to get them to a readable level on the chart (<2) so you'll know how much they've risen after you redose ammonia.

Okay, great, and trites have been 5.0 over 1 week and I have now done 3 water changes in one week and yet they rise to 5 in less than a 24 hour period (I have done 75%-80% pwc to get it down to 0.25 and hours later right back to 5) so what you suggest now?

Late posting but here are the new results after 50%pwc without re-dosing....doing another 50%PWC and will post results before ammo re-dose and after ammo redose

Attachments

• 20121021_111208.jpg
    20121021_111208.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 66
After you have the nitrites back down to a measurable level I would dose the ammonia again and wait.

Okay well i re-dosed ammo to 1.0 earlier today and did (2) 50% PWC's to get trites readable.....first pic is after ammo dose and 2nd pic is water parameters now....:ermm: seems like my trites readily shoot right back up in a matter of hours and ammo disappears...:ermm::ermm: anyone have some thoughts or input to share?

Attachments

• 20121021_141858.jpg
    20121021_141858.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 20121021_184733.jpg
    20121021_184733.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 52
My ammo its down...trites are off chart ....trates climbing

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121022_045134.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121022_045134.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 47
Results again...do I need to dose ammo again? I don't know why this fish-less cycling is becoming a nuisance to me when I just successfully, with 10 fish in a 55g, did 6 weeks and 5 days of a fish-in. Maybe I am a fish-in cycle person;)
I think I like just knowing that I test once, do daily PWC, test again, done...
This fish-less I have to dose, test, try not to overdose,etc....:(:( its not for me..

Attachments

• 20121022_094624.jpg
    20121022_094624.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 57
I would say to only dose 2 ppm of ammo at this stage, though maybe someone else can chime in on this. Basically you have a healthy colony nitrosomonas, the bacteria that converts ammonia into nitrites. However, your colony of nitrobacter, the bacteria that convert nitrites into nitrates has not fully developed. I'm sorry if you already know this just thought I'd try to explain it a bit.

It's hard, if not impossible to tell how much longer you have in this stage. Many people experience long waits in this stage. I hope all of your questions get answered but if not keep asking I'll check back when I can.

Results again...do I need to dose ammo again? I don't know why this fish-less cycling is becoming a nuisance to me when I just successfully, with 10 fish in a 55g, did 6 weeks and 5 days of a fish-in. Maybe I am a fish-in cycle person;)
I think I like just knowing that I test once, do daily PWC, test again, done...
This fish-less I have to dose, test, try not to overdose,etc....:(:( its not for me..

Honestly, I fishless cycled my first tank when I got back into the hobby last feb. and I don't think I would do it again. It is entirely possible to fish in cycle humanely, it also takes care and patience just as in a fishless cycle.

Yeah, I would dose 1ppm of ammonia hopefully bringing you back up to 2. Question: If you have a cycled tank why don't you use some of that filter media to cycle the new tank?

Honestly, I fishless cycled my first tank when I got back into the hobby last feb. and I don't think I would do it again. It is entirely possible to fish in cycle humanely, it also takes care and patience just as in a fishless cycle.

Yeah, I would dose 1ppm of ammonia hopefully bringing you back up to 2. Question: If you have a cycled tank why don't you use some of that filter media to cycle the new tank?

When I was doing the other tank, 55g, I did add extra media so I could seed the 40B but I don't understand why it isn't doing nothing ....I took everything out my ac50 and placed the nasty one in first then the other stuff and that was almost 2 weeks ago, then I added another one 1 week ago...:(:(:( I guess that is why I am beginning to become discouraged with it...

When I was doing the other tank, 55g, I did add extra media so I could seed the 40B but I don't understand why it isn't doing nothing ....I took everything out my ac50 and placed the nasty one in first then the other stuff and that was almost 2 weeks ago, then I added another one 1 week ago...:(:(:( I guess that is why I am beginning to become discouraged with it...

I understand how you feel. I'm really surprised that using the media from your 55g filter didn't work to cycle the 40b faster.

I understand how you feel. I'm really surprised that using the media from your 55g filter didn't work to cycle the 40b faster.

Yeah me too...I thought it would that's the only reason I chose to experience it....debating what to do now...any suggestions?

Well, you really have 2 choices. You can wait it out or do a 100 percent water change and add some fish.

Well, you really have 2 choices. You can wait it out or do a 100 percent water change and add some fish.

I was thinking about that and was wondering has anyone done that in the middle of fish-less change to fish-in? Also if I do.....

Do I pour the water out of the filter as well (but don't mess with media)?

How long do I wait to test water parameters (30 min., 1-2 hrs, 24 hrs, etc)?

When is it safe for the fish to house it (immediately, couple hours, etc)?

Back
Top Bottom