Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
If I start with a new tank and use the same filter as my old tank with the same type of filter bags and bacteria, how long would it usually take for the new tank to cycle?

If I start with a new tank and use the same filter as my old tank with the same type of filter bags and bacteria, how long would it usually take for the new tank to cycle?

Are you upgrading? If you put your old filter and media on a new tank its instantly cycled

Well I'm getting a new filter for the big tank and when that's doing a new cycle I'm going to put the old filter in a new small 40 gallon tank, I want to change my gravel to sand and all, so I'm going to put the new filter on the big tank while the small filter is still there, then when the new filter is ready I'm going to move my old filter to the smaller tank to change the gravel to sand, then after a few days for the sand to settle ill move the fish back to the big tank and add new fish to the new 40 gallon.

Well I'm getting a new filter for the big tank and when that's doing a new cycle I'm going to put the old filter in a new small 40 gallon tank, I want to change my gravel to sand and all, so I'm going to put the new filter on the big tank while the small filter is still there, then when the new filter is ready I'm going to move my old filter to the smaller tank to change the gravel to sand, then after a few days for the sand to settle ill move the fish back to the big tank and add new fish to the new 40 gallon.

Okay it usually takes about 4 weeks to properly seed a filter. I don't quite grasp your explanation so I will add that you also need to make sure that all your tanks that have fish must have a filter on them. Also if you're seeding a filter in a new tank you must have fish in it.

I am afraid you lost me on this explanation as well. You have a new tank with a new filter that your going to fishless cycle, correct? This can take anywhere from 4-8wks or longer. You will need to add an ammonia source regularly. Aside from this, I am not sure if you are talking about one or more other tanks that need to be cycled or are cycled. Some more info will help us to help you better!

No I'm going to add the new filter to the existing tank while the old filter is still running then once the new filter has BB I will remove the old filter and place it in the new tank( this way the existing tank will always have a filter). My question is that how long will it take for the new tank to be ready to add fish once the old filter( which still has BB) is placed in the new tank? Does that clear some things up? The old tank is already cycled and fish are in there so once the new tank is cycled ill transfer some fish to the new tank to keep up the BB. So in the end of this process I'm going to have a new filter on the existing tank and the existing "old" filter on the new tank.

No I'm going to add the new filter to the existing tank while the old filter is still running then once the new filter has BB I will remove the old filter and place it in the new tank( this way the existing tank will always have a filter). My question is that how long will it take for the new tank to be ready to add fish once the old filter( which still has BB) is placed in the new tank? Does that clear some things up? The old tank is already cycled and fish are in there so once the new tank is cycled ill transfer some fish to the new tank to keep up the BB. So in the end of this process I'm going to have a new filter on the existing tank and the existing "old" filter on the new tank.

So you have two tanks. One with fish one without tank 1 is cycled tank 2 isn't you want to take the filter form tank two and put it on tank one in order to cycle it correct. If so you need 4 weeks to seed a new filter.

Back
Top Bottom