Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2017, 09:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cycling a foam filter

I have an angelfish fry tank and I have two foam/air filters on it and the ammonia is ridiculously high (8.0 ppm) and I took some cycled media from my 46 gl and washed the foam filter out in dirty, bacteria rich aquarium water from the media but that hasn't done anything since last night, I have my other foam filter sitting in my 46 gallon(cycled) aquarium to cycle itself, how long until you think it's good to go and has bacteria on it.Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1488336391.365018.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	295695

Old 03-01-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you added media from a well-established tank to your new tank, it shouldn't take long until you get a bacterial colony in your new tank. However, it will take some time for the bacteria to counter such a high ammonia count. It may be good to add some Seachem Prime to your new tank, as well. You should also note that there just isn't much bacteria in your water column, so soaking your new filter in established water will take quite some time before bacteria colonizes on it to any extent.
It's always advisable to cycle a new tank fully before adding fish.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok thank you but how long until this is the right amount of bacteria is on this one so I can put it back in my fry tankClick image for larger version

Name:	Image1488416227.824013.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	295731
Old 03-02-2017, 04:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

It will probably take anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks to get a good bacteria colony going on the foam filter, I would recommend doing some daily water changes to get the ammonia down, I try to keep it at less than 1 ppm when cycling. A new tank with fish in....the lower the better. When you start seeing nitrate on your test you will be getting close.

Tags
cycling, filter, foam

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com