Cycling and clown loach advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeckyB2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I've seen a 6x2x2 foot tank (179.5 gallons) advertised recently - I have 3 clown loaches, 6 inches is the biggest and about 2 inches is the smallest, currently in a 3x2x1 foot tank at the moment so they'll need a tank this big someday - I was just wondering how long it would take to cycle a tank this big?

Also I'm going to uni this September, so if I bought it now I wouldn't be able to set it up and use it until the end of 2016 at least, (because I should be in my own accommodation then, not living at uni) so my second question is would my biggest clown loach be able to stay in my current 30 gallon tank for about another year and a half until I could move him to the bigger one? I don't want to stunt his growth.
Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think if you could manage to get them into at least a 4x2 tank before you go to college it'd be better for them. They shouldn't be in a 30 gallon tank.

My 150 gallon took three and a half weeks to cycle, with you already having an established tank it'll cut that time down since you can use seeding material.

If this is the tank you're trying to plant, though, clown loaches are notorious for tearing up plants just for fun and they don't like the bright lights required to grow plants.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I don't suggest leaving them in your 30 for that long. Honestly, even at the size your largest one is at I think you ideally should have moved him long ago. Sorry, just trying to give you the info I've gleaned from my loach experience. I do agree that an incremental upgrade for the time being would be ideal if possible.
If you can't do a temporary upgrade, my next question is who will be caring for the tank while you are at school? Your current tank should be getting some pretty intense water changes as the fish get bigger. Also, clean water makes a large difference in fish growth. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, well I don't know anyone with a bigger tank than me, and I don't want to get rid of him - if I were to set up this tank at my parents' house, how difficult do you think it would be to transport it to mine later? Has anyone had any experience with moving house with a big tank like this?

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, pet stores would have a bigger tank than 30 gallons for you to temporarily house him in. Just buy one.

And moving a 180 gallon? It'll be hard work, but it's not impossible. Is it glass or acrylic? Acrylic is lighter, you could get by with two people to move it. Glass you'll need about 4 people. Or just hire movers, when I bought my 150 I just paid movers $80 and they picked it up, loaded it in their truck, and carried it into my house where I wanted it. And they had insurance in case it broke during the transport.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Honestly, moving large tanks is a big pain in the butt, but certainly doable. Since it would be up for at least a year, that makes things easier for you. When I moved my 75g, I drained the water and removed as much of the substrate as I could and hauled the pieces individually in buckets. I will be honest, it is a time consuming annoyance, but if you want to keep large fish, it goes with the territory.
If you don't want to pay movers, you can certainly do it on your own. 2-4 people can move it with minimal frustration.

Back
Top Bottom