Cycling aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swampman

Aquarium Advice Activist
My aquarium has been up for 4 weeks. It has 7 VonRios and many plants. I have diatom brown algae in the tank. I took a water reading a week ago and had Amonia 0, nitrites 0 nitrates 0 pH 7. Today I took the water reading and had the same readings. I should say this is a 37 gal tank. I have 4 inches of substrate . I did a water change of 6 gals. I do not think the tank cycled yet. I read that diatoms will go away when the tank cycled and water changes. The water reading were done test tube way. How will I know when the tank cycled? Thanks:angel:

My aquarium has been up for 4 weeks. It has 7 VonRios and many plants. I have diatom brown algae in the tank. I took a water reading a week ago and had Amonia 0, nitrites 0 nitrates 0 pH 7. Today I took the water reading and had the same readings. I should say this is a 37 gal tank. I have 4 inches of substrate . I did a water change of 6 gals. I do not think the tank cycled yet. I read that diatoms will go away when the tank cycled and water changes. The water reading were done test tube way. How will I know when the tank cycled? Thanks:angel:
Have you ever had Ammonia or Nitrite readings?
If you are heavily planted and you have properly cycled, you may have 0 nitrates, but usually you have some detectable.
It took me about 8 weeks to get rid of nitrites when i cycled my 55 gallon a couple of years ago. I started from scratch, no seed from an established filter. I just cycled a 75 gallon in less than 3 weeks by adding an established filter.

Back
Top Bottom