Cycling for a beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi...here is a calculator that really helped me figure out how much ammonia to use. I got the Ace brand in the white bottle...it is safe.

http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

Another option is to just keep the filter media for the 10 gallon tank tucked into your larger tank somewhere where you can't really see it. It should colonize with the bb you need so when the 10 gallon tank is needed...you can just fill it with water treated with prime (or whatever you use) and pop that filter media into the filter of the 10g and the tank should be instantly cycled. ;-). I had the exact same question in the beginning...but i find it hard to leave a tank empty for long!

i havnt ready all of this but from what iv read if i was you i would get some shrimp or a bristle nose somthing that is very placid and wont kill any thing you put in

lamby said:
i havnt ready all of this but from what iv read if i was you i would get some shrimp or a bristle nose somthing that is very placid and wont kill any thing you put in

Thats what i thought at first too...But if it is used as a hospital tank...you wouldn't want to be dosing a healthy fish. Plus...some treatments are going to wipe out your bio filter anyway...too stressful I think. Also if its a quarantine tank...who knows what you could be exposing your fish to...kind of defeats the point of quarantine.

totaly agree you can alway just keep the filter media in ur other tank jist hide it then wen it comes time to need it it already has bios on it

Chances are if you have a bigger tank up and running, your 10g filter cartridge will fit into the larger tanks filter. Also, not all ammonia is the same %. If you go this route, (even though the smaller filter cartridge in the bigger filter is easiest) make sure you get ammonia without ANY additives, then dose your tank with 5ml or however much you want to try, wait an hr and test. Take corrective actions after testing ie; pwc, doing some math and adding more ammonia.

aaronjohn20 said:
Chances are if you have a bigger tank up and running, your 10g filter cartridge will fit into the larger tanks filter. Also, not all ammonia is the same %. If you go this route, (even though the smaller filter cartridge in the bigger filter is easiest) make sure you get ammonia without ANY additives, then dose your tank with 5ml or however much you want to try, wait an hr and test. Take corrective actions after testing ie; pwc, doing some math and adding more ammonia.

If you use the calculator link I posted above you don't have to guess about the amount of ammonia to add. It asks you for the ammonia content of the product you are using and tells you exactly how many ml to add. ;-). It was awesome when we were cycling our tank.

Back
Top Bottom