Cycling for Dummies and Medicine for Velvet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnneVictoria

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,
I have been desperate for some cycling help and though I got advice elsewhere, I am not making progress. I hope someone here can help.
I have a betta (a couple months now).
1. He has velvet and fin rot. He is in a 2.5 gallon "hospital tank" and though he seems happy and spunky and is making nests, he still has velvet, though his fins are improving. I have been using, on the advice of others, Ick Guard for the Velvet. He has been treated for three weeks. How long will this take? His tank is about 82 and dark most of the time. Should I try treating with something else? Any directions?
2. I have a 5.5 gallon tank I am trying to cycle fishless-ly. I treated with ammonia to about 1.5-2 ppm on August 20th, just the one dose. I have been testing for nitrites with the API kit as I was told once I see nitrites, to dose with ammonia again to???
I still see no nitrites. This is 15 days! Also, the weird thing is, the test strip looks neither blue-green like 0ppm nor purple like all the nitrite-showing colors but plain blue like the Ph strip. Yes I am using the correct bottle, following directions exactly, etc. Now my ammonia is down to about .25ppm, still no nitrites. Help. I want to get this tank cycled and create a healthy home for my betta.
Thanks for any and all responses.
Anne Victoria

I would treat with coppersafe bit I'm not sure if its safe for bettas. So I hope someone chimes in on that. You can try raising the temp to 86 degrees aswell

I sent you two links on this on your other thread. It takes a long time to cycle 4-6 weeks. You can speed it up with part of your old filter or old water from the other tank.

Since you only have a betta, and such a small tank. I'd do the multi-tank treatment, you have five cups/or small tanks. You put him in one the first day, then put him in the 2nd the second day, etc. Cleaning the previous dirty tank with scalding water or cleaner of choice. You could also try Aquarium salt and heat. I am doing a round of heat and salt right now with a tank of guppies. I use 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, I raise the salinity slowly over 24 hours. Then add heat, raised slowly to about 80-86 degrees. You may need to do a little research on whether you can go that high with a betta. I think I kept my betta at a solid 78-80. add a little salt, and keep it running together for 14 days. then gradually drop the heat to 78, and water changes to make the salinity to 0. Clean water goes a long way!!

Cycling here is a good guide, I think you are best set with liguid test kit. the strips don't really work. I think your supposed to be adding ammonia almost every day, because you need food for the beneficial bacteria to eat.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...started-check-out-these-resources-154837.html

I used old filter media from an established aquarium to kick start me. Do you have any friends that could give you a little gravel, old filter media, or borrow a tank decoration.

You guys all deserve a serious thank you for your help. I FINALLY got nitrites (after following your advice). Thank you Andrew. I'm treating my betta hopefully better though the store was out of copper sulfate but I did add more salt. I am going to get copper sulfate asap. I am doing a mini-multi tank thing, thank you Ocean girl.
I think this is the creme de la creme of all the aquarium forums online. Thanks again.

Your welcome
If you can't find that you can try a combination of maracyn 2 and maracide. I forgot to tell you when using meds you.can't have carbon in your filter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom