Cycling help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissPufferfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a 6 gallon tank that I am cycling with a danio. Yeah I know now its better fish less but I didn't know at the time. Anyway my ammonia has just started to drop after just over 3 weeks which I'm hoping is the cycle getting on its way. My question is how can I change the gravel without disturbing this? It needs to be changed before i get other fish. Also, my internal filter and air pump is playing up, the air gets kind of laboured. I'm guessing the filter needs a clean to help it pull the air through or something, can I clean it while cycling? And how?
Thanks for your help :)

I'm afraid I can't be of much help with the ammonia, but with the filter I'd say it'd be ok to clean it. Just don't replace any media or anything, rinse it instead.

Are you seeing nitrites, you should be? As for the filter media, when you do a water change take the filter media & clean it in the USED tank water. That should get the gunk off it & it should perform better. The gravel will have some BB but typically the filter media has more, change out the gravel whenever you'd like. It may effect the cycle slightly but it shouldn't be too much.

I forgot to mention, like shellieca said, rinse it in used tank water. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that.

Okay, I'll clean the filter media next time I do a water change. Ill also change the gravel sooner rather than later, I think it will be best.
Also I just did a test and it is also now showing about 1mg/l of nitrite and a very small amount of nitrate. I have test strips for these and liquid for the ammonia. :) what happens next?

Because I want some small cory cats and I think the gravel right now is too big and rough for their barbels.

Plus if you et sand it stays cleaner lol my cory cats love it and my sand has lil pits all through it from them it looks neat

Plus if you et sand it stays cleaner lol my cory cats love it and my sand has lil pits all through it from them it looks neat

I second this. All of my cory cats love the sand and its easier for them to find food if not taken by the top/middle dwellers:lol:

Not to go off topic but I can't figure out aqua advisor and no one has replied post it is in freshwater as stocking 29 gal and 20 gal

Back
Top Bottom