cycling new filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
On my 30 gallon tank I had a regular cartridge filter for quite a while, but I just bought and installed a new aquaclear HOB filter. They are now both filtering the tank at the same time because obviously I need to let beneficial bacteria grow in the components of the HOB filter. My question is how long should I leave the cartridge filter in the tank? aka How long will it take for enough ben-bac to grow in my new filter so that it can be the sole filter for my fully stocked 30 gallon tank?

I'd leave it for a month, 6 weeks if you can.

Or, if you're able to stuff the filter media from the old filter into the HOB, you could do that if you wanted to get rid of the the old filter completely and it would fit.

Agreed, you certainly aren't hurting anything by leaving it in there for a couple months. In a 30 gallon that's been up and running for a long while, a shorter time would probably be ok, but be on the safe side.

If the tank is established, the gravel etc will help seed the new filter. I'd run them together for a couple of weeks then transfer over the media from the old filter.

Good point Zazg, I had a new 29 gallon cycle in a few days just by putting some gravel and a piece of filter media from an existing tank in there.

Last edited:
Ok, so this morning I took out the old filter and put the biological filter part of it (folded in half and tied) into the newer Aquaclear filter. This should be fine then?

Back
Top Bottom