Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cycling new tank, calling all ideas!

Ok so I just got my 40 gallon tank, and it looks awesome! It was from a package deal and already has an Aqueon QuietFlow 55, a heater and a hood/tank light! I'm gonna start cycling it right away and hopefully before the break ends I can already start adding fish.

My current 10 gallon (cycled and stocked) has a lot of beneficial bacteria I can use to help out the 40, so any ideas of transferring media will be noted! So far I have:

•Moving gravel from cycled 10 gallon to uncycled 40 gallon
•Swishing around my 10 gallon filter cartridges to release any form of bacteria into the 40 gallon
•Transferring live plants and other decorations from 10 to 40 gallon
•Running the 40 gallon filter in my 10 gallon tank to give it a boost

My concern is running the Aqueon QuietFlow 55 in my small little 10 gallon. Would it suck up some of my neon tetras/ghost shrimp? I have platys in there as well but I'm assuming they're strong enough to fight the current

Old 12-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Took my 40g 8 week to cycle. But you have all that other stuff to give it a boost. The filter will be fine. I have a Fluval 406 on 40g and seriously consider upgrading filter to at least a Aquaclear 70 or 110. If you don't want a canister. Add Stability as extra beneficial bacteria and you'll be fine

Old 12-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would move the filter media from the 10g to the 40g & move the fish over. When you swished the 10g filter in the 40g tank water was it new conditioned tap water? I'd be slightly concerned it may have effected the BB, if it was conditioned as I'm sure it was, it should be OK but I do a water test to make sure all is good.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you keeping the ten going? The best thing you could do is run the new filter on the ten. Take the cycled cartridge from the filter on the ten, put it in the new filter so that your new filter has both cartridge in it. make sure the old filter is behind the new one and run it for at least a week or longer on the ten.

That will cycle the filter cartridge for the 40 on the 10 without having to run both filters at the same time.

After at least a week move the new filter to the 40 that has conditioned water heated to normal lvls.(fill it 24 before) Put the old cartridge and filter back on the 10.

At this point you could call the 40 cycled and ready for fish(Some may disagree).
Adding a few fish right away and monitor lvl to make sure.

That's how I would do it.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank Cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobjoefredsky View Post
Ok so I just got my 40 gallon tank, and it looks awesome! It was from a package deal and already has an Aqueon QuietFlow 55, a heater and a hood/tank light! I'm gonna start cycling it right away and hopefully before the break ends I can already start adding fish.

My current 10 gallon (cycled and stocked) has a lot of beneficial bacteria I can use to help out the 40, so any ideas of transferring media will be noted! So far I have:

•Moving gravel from cycled 10 gallon to uncycled 40 gallon
•Swishing around my 10 gallon filter cartridges to release any form of bacteria into the 40 gallon
•Transferring live plants and other decorations from 10 to 40 gallon
•Running the 40 gallon filter in my 10 gallon tank to give it a boost

My concern is running the Aqueon QuietFlow 55 in my small little 10 gallon. Would it suck up some of my neon tetras/ghost shrimp? I have platys in there as well but I'm assuming they're strong enough to fight the current
Hello Bob...

The good bacteria from the small tank isn't going to go very far in cycling the much larger tank. Even though good bacteria reproduces quickly, there just isn't enough. The best means of cycling a tank is to use some hardy fish like Guppies, Danios, White Clouds or Platys. Set up the tank and add some floating plants like Anacharis and Pennywort and put in the fish, say 6 or so and have a water test kit ready to monitor the water. Test every day for ammonia and nitrite. When you have a positive test for either, then remove at least 25 percent of the water and replace it with pure, treated tap water. Test daily and replace water when needed.

After several tests show "0" for the above toxins, then add a few more fish and continue testing. Just follow these steps until your tank is stocked. The fish will be fine as long as you do your job.

Pretty simple. This way you don't need to disturb your other tank by trying to transfer bacteria.

B
Old 12-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you all! The cycling begins today'
Old 12-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post

Hello Bob...

The good bacteria from the small tank isn't going to go very far in cycling the much larger tank. Even though good bacteria reproduces quickly, there just isn't enough. The best means of cycling a tank is to use some hardy fish like Guppies, Danios, White Clouds or Platys. Set up the tank and add some floating plants like Anacharis and Pennywort and put in the fish, say 6 or so and have a water test kit ready to monitor the water. Test every day for ammonia and nitrite. When you have a positive test for either, then remove at least 25 percent of the water and replace it with pure, treated tap water. Test daily and replace water when needed.

After several tests show "0" for the above toxins, then add a few more fish and continue testing. Just follow these steps until your tank is stocked. The fish will be fine as long as you do your job.

Pretty simple. This way you don't need to disturb your other tank by trying to transfer bacteria.

B
I have platys from my 10 gallon, but I'm not sure if I want to transfer them yet! Do you think it's safe to cycle with them?

Tags
cycling, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com