cycling newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenny H.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
because i have gotten some bad advice from my LFS I am doing a fish in cycle. it has been a couple weeks now and so far ok i think. my question is every 2 or 3 days i've been doing a 25 to 35 percent PWC due to my ammonia levels getting into the stress or harmful levels. my question is since i am doing frequent PWC does that slow down the cycling process? I have 2 serpae tetras and so far they seem ok. also, should i be feeding them twice a day? they eat well but i'm afraid it is leaving too much uneaten food in the bottom. thanks in advance for any advice.

No it will not slow the cycle IMO/E. what are you letting you ammonia levels get to? IMO .25ppm - .5ppm at the very most. IMO feeding once a day is heaps. If there is uneaten food you are feeding too much.

Like Mumma said, doing your pwc will not slow down your cycling. Make sure you are testing your water everyday and make sure you are using a good liquid test kit, like the API freshwater kit, as the strips are not always accurate. This kit will allow you to test all parameters that need to be tested. Any time your ammonia gets above .25 you need to do a water change. IMHO feeding twice a day is too much. Once a day should be just fine. Only feed what your fish will eat. It may take a couple of day but you will figure out the correct amount.

Back
Top Bottom