Cycling options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codefox

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alright, the tank I have planned is going to have a school of 10 Black Neon tetras, a school of either 10 Blue Tetras or 10 Neon Tetras, 6 corys, and I think 4 Angelfish. If I have room in there for some various nonschooling tetras I'd like to add a few too, but I don't want to overdo it either...this may be pushing it as it is ;)

Anyway, what should I start cycling the tank with? These fish aren't exactly the best cycling fish...though if I had to pick, I'd think the Black Neons might be best.

On this board most are going to advise you to do fishless cycle. I myself usually do cycle with hardy fish that I plan on keeping but none of your fish reallly fit that profile. I don't know about black neons but neon tetras in general are a horrible choice for cycling.

I would try to get some bio spira to jump start your tank.

4angels + 10 black neons + 10 neons = 4 angels + (maybe) 10 black angels :mrgreen: (i tried it out, believe me)

blacks are hardy, but maybe not hardy enough to cycle with. i usually add media from cycled tanks to start cycling. see if you could borrow some from your lfs or your friends.

well if you are positive you dont want to do a fishless cycle i would NOT do the blakc neon tetras they are sensitives just like the regular neons

what is the size of the tank? and i guess the blue tetras would be best even though none of this should be cycling fish, if any and i hate to say...Zebra Danios are the hardiest but please do constant pwc and keep up on the tests :D

HTH

tetrin said:
4angels + 10 black neons + 10 neons = 4 angels + (maybe) 10 black angels :mrgreen: (i tried it out, believe me)

:lol: Well, hmm...so the angels will eat my other fish you think? I know they're cichlids but I always thought they were more peaceful. (can you believe I've had a fish tank of some sort since I was 7 and I've never kept Angels!)

Oh, right, it's a 55 gallon tank. Fishless cycle? Never done it...I guess I can try it out since there's no fish in it yet ;)

its not a matter of being peaceful, its more a question of predator-prey relationship (it's hardwired into their system)...i have read about angels growing up with neons and things being all hunky-dory. but i can bet that in the end the neons all end up as live food.

i'm currently working on getting harlequin rasboras to work with angels (the rasboras are still in QT). but slightly bigger schooling fish would work as well.

i am personally not in favor of watching a big empty tank for a month or so. i'd rather put a few small fish in it and do 10-20% pwc's every 2-3 days. the QT i use to quarantine new fish (i QT'd my neons for 3 weeks, 10 in a 5g tank) works on the same principle. BTW, a python really helps out here, i had no idea how much until i bought one at walmart :wink: .

the question of wether or not to do a fishless cycle is what kind of fish you ultimately want in the aquarium.. if you want sensitive our aggressive fish then the fishless cycle is the best option for you. If you like zebra danios or goldfish and want to have them in our tank then by all means cycle with them (they are hardy enough for a cycle)

Thanks for the fish advice...I love rasboras, but unfortunately they don't come from the Amazon, so they won't fit will in my little biotope ;)

I don't mind having an empty tank for a while while I cycle (I've been waiting for 6 years till I could get a tank again ;) ) so I'm not really in a rush. I'll have to re-evaluate my fish though since Angels are to be the 'centerpiece' of this whole thing.

I'd go fishless. This way you don't have to worry about harming any fish. Plus, I'd rather look at an empty tank for a month then have to pull dead fish out on a daily/weekly basis.

Cycling with pure ammonia is easy and isn't messy like cycling with fish food or shrimp.

yeah, angelfish are awesome, are Serpae Tetras Amazon? Im guessing you are trying to do an amazon biotype.. but the sad thing is, in the natural, the neon tetras are eaten by angels... LOL.. so like you said, you need a larger schooling fish, thats why i settled for the serpae tetras, but of course im not doing a biotype.

Serpae's are Amazon...I didn't even think about them. They're not really that big either...

oh so they are amazon, well i would just like to vouch for them, because i LOVE angelfish and I LOVE my serpae tetras :-D

They've actually been added onto my list as a replacement for the neons already ;)

Back
Top Bottom