cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hello i have just set up my new tank and was wondering... I cannot setup my filter because some parts i needed didnt arrive (they are in the post).
At the moment i have all my spare deco in my old tank gathering bacteria which means i cant really clean it properly, could i put this deco in the new tank without a filter running or will the bacteria die without a filter running. hopefully my parts will come tommorrow will the bacteria last till then if i add some ammonia to the tank for them to eat or whatever it is they do with ammonia. thank you

hello i have just set up my new tank and was wondering... I cannot setup my filter because some parts i needed didnt arrive (they are in the post).
At the moment i have all my spare deco in my old tank gathering bacteria which means i cant really clean it properly, could i put this deco in the new tank without a filter running or will the bacteria die without a filter running. hopefully my parts will come tommorrow will the bacteria last till then if i add some ammonia to the tank for them to eat or whatever it is they do with ammonia. thank you

As long as they're still alive, they'll breed/multiply off any ammonia/food source in the tank. Once you have your filter in place they'll start to seed that, since it's better geared to support the bacteria.

Here's a link to check out:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

yes but can i put my seeding material in a few days before i set up my filter or will the bacteria die without the filter running?

tmdavies said:
yes but can i put my seeding material in a few days before i set up my filter or will the bacteria die without the filter running?

Yes you can put it in :D. The filter justs turns the water over (houses bacteria too), but bacteria lives on decco, in gravel and even the tank walls (till you scrape it off that is :p).

ok thanks ill pop my seeding material in today and hopefully set my filter up tomoz. cheers

Back
Top Bottom