Cycling question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbree13

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so I'm cycling a new 55 gallon fish tank! And I'm using already cycled water and already cycled filter ext! How long should I wait until I can put fish in?
I plan on using RO water as well for this tank!

It would maybe still cycle some do and some don't but it should only be a mini cycle. I would add the fish and do it fish in. As for a time from its hard to tell some can take a couple days and some take a week or two. Mine was instant :)

Tank Cycling

Okay so I'm cycling a new 55 gallon fish tank! And I'm using already cycled water and already cycled filter ext! How long should I wait until I can put fish in?
I plan on using RO water as well for this tank!

Hello j...

OK. Here's the "skinny" on cycling your tank. The good bacteria you want to grow in the tank is going to live on the surfaces inside the tank. So, using water from an already cycled tank isn't going to help much, because there's very little bacteria living in the old water.

Using media from a cycled tank will help, because there's a lot of surface area and therefore a lot of room for the little microscopic bugs to live.

You can put a few small, hardy fish in the tank any time. I'd suggest some Guppies or Platys if you like live bearing fish or some Danios, like Zebras if you prefer egglayers. Eight to 10 small fish is a good start. The waste the fish produce will get the process going. Add some floating plants like Anacharis or Pennywort. These are natural water filters and use the waste the fish produce.

After the fish go in, you'll need to test the tank water every day for traces of ammonia and nitrites. These toxins will kill all your fish in a few days if you don't change out 25 to 30 percent of the water and replace it with pure, tap water that's been treated to remove ammonia, chlorine and chloramine. Treated tap water is all that's needed.

Get all your testing equipment before you put in the fish, that way you're ready to test right away.

B

Water contains very very few beneficial bacteria, thus the difference between 'cycled' water and 'non-cycled' water is negligible

I'm using a filter that has been running since December! I have multiple liquid test kits as well.. I'll put guppies in them I have some around the house; and test everyday for a week.. I won't out the fish in until I get my RO unit though! Thanks for help!

Fish In Tank Cycling

I'm using a filter that has been running since December! I have multiple liquid test kits as well.. I'll put guppies in them I have some around the house; and test everyday for a week.. I won't out the fish in until I get my RO unit though! Thanks for help!

Hello again j...

You'll need to test the tank water daily for the pollutants I mentioned earlier. When you have several tests that show no ammonia or nitrites, then you can add a few more small fish and resume the testing routine. You should do this until the tank is fully stocked. The process can take several weeks, but by cycling the tank with fish, you have the benefit of some activity in the tank.

B

Alright thank you! The thing is, I just plan on having 4 fish in the tank.. Bare bottom ect. I am moving discus from my upstairs tank to my basement into this tank! I'd be doing 50% water changes every 2 days! I'm not super worried about intoxicating chemicals because of how often I change water

If you're going to use straight RO water, make sure you replenish it with the appropriate level of minerals, especially if you're going to use livebearers.

David

Back
Top Bottom