Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cokepelli

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 125 gallon tank which I have dosed with pure ammonia about 2 weeks ago. The temp is 82 degrees and I had initially dosed the tank to 4ppm of ammonia. Up until today I have only had ammonia registering on the test kit. I have been keeping an eye out for nitrites but have yet to get any. Four days ago I dosed the tank with Tetra quick start and today the ammonia is down to 1ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5ppm nitrates. My question is where do I go from here? Is my fishless cycle well on its way to completion?

I always had fish growing up and just now got back into it as I am trying to have a project with my sons. I am planning on making the tank a cichlid tank and am very excited. There is a ton more information available now than 20 plus years ago for this hobby which is very helpful. I just need some reassurance that I am doing things the right way. Thanks for any hints or guidance that you will be giving me.

Looks like your cycle is nearly complete. I believe you dose ammonia up to 2 ppm and if it reads 0 in 24 hours then you are cycled.

Odd that you saw zero nitrite.

I'd dose it up again to ~4ppm, test ammonia to confirm and then check to see that it's zero ammonia the next day ... then you're sure you've cycled.

Yes, I did dose it back up and found that Ammo went to .25, Nitrite 2, and Nitrate is now 40, this was within about 12 hours. So, I'm not quite there but nearly...

I am also adding a canister filter to my setup which will increase my bio material by a lot. I know I am almost there.

Nitrite has a tendency to fluctuate during a cycle. Can go from 0 to a reading within hours. You are close. It's converting that ammonia nicely. Just need a little more BB to stabilize.

Back
Top Bottom