cycling tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jordanlee123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all I have new tank and an old tank that's been up for 6month can I use some water from older tank and media to cycle New tank will it speed up process

Yes you can use that. It would start your cycle. However it won't speed it up. It's just like cycling a tank with fish or live rock or ammonia. There's many ways to cycle your tank. It will finish cycling in two to 5 months. Each tank is different. Use test kits to know where your at in the cycle.

It's possible they might die,but not always. When cycling a tank ONLY use a damsel. It's the hardiest and cheapest fish out there. The damsel will get stressed but the beneficial bacteria will get used to the fish waste in the aquarium and will cycle. I think it's kinda harsh on the fish and it might be too aggressive if you introduce a smaller or less aggressive newcomer, so I don't recommend it. I used live rock and live sand in my tank. It cycled in as little as 3 weeks:D.

I won't use fish as like you say I also feel like thats abit harSh on fish so live rocks I think is the way. Will also get a tasting kit in a weeks time thanks

Haha maybe I was goin to test the water by tasting it haha but ye testing kit and dose the cycle speed depend on tank size or dose it not matter just getting as much info as I can

It doesn't matter what tank size, just get as much info as you can and you'll be set for your new tank.(y) I'm always learning something in the saltwater aquarium hobby:)

Adding some cycled media will help jump start the cycling process. Adding tank water will do little as there is no such thing as 'cycled' water. Bacteria live and colonize on surfaces such as your filter media where there is ample oxygen and a constant source of food.

Do you plan on doing a fishless or fish-in cycle? Fishless, you will need to add an ammonia source such as bottled ammonia to keep your bacteria fed. Fish-in can be done safely but toxin levels need to be constantly monitored to keep them very low (below .25ppm) and lots of water changes will be a must. Stocking minimally to start then stocking very slowly once the tank is cycled will help ensure the cycling process will go smoothly.

Fishless and I got some media from other tank and what about light should if be on as if fish where In there or leave it off.

Running the light is up to you. If you have plants, then its a good idea to have it on for a period of time. :)

Back
Top Bottom