Cycling Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jocelynmeyer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone!

I’m setting up a 50 gallon aquarium and trying to cycle the tank. I have opted for a fishless cycle using ammonia. I’ve dosed the tank the last 3 days.

On the first day I got a reading of about 1ppm for ammonia. I was aiming for 4-5 based on sources I came across online. Yesterday and today I’ve had a 0ppm reading.

Is my best bet to buy a biological starter from the pet store? Or how can I get this cycled using the ammonia? I’ve added a bit of filter media from my established 10 gallon tank, but it isn’t much.

Would appreciate any insights!

Check out this article on fishless cycle.

I’ve read through this and countless others and cannot get my ammonia levels up. I didn’t figure nitrates would be reading either, and they’re not, as confirmed by testing.

I’m now worried that the ammonia I purchased was not the proper kind (and perhaps has additives). Would this be the result of that?

Are you going with a planted tank by chance? If so, no cycle required.... I'll explain if you are planning for a planted tank.

If not, then yes, you should cycle with ammonia.

Are you going with a planted tank by chance? If so, no cycle required.... I'll explain if you are planning for a planted tank.

If not, then yes, you should cycle with ammonia.

I want to have a planted tank but haven’t acquired the plants yet. So as of right now, there are no plants in the tank.

I want to have a planted tank but haven’t acquired the plants yet. So as of right now, there are no plants in the tank.

What type of ammonia are you using?

Do you have friends / a good fish store that will give you some old nasty filter sponges or media? That would instantly cycle the tank...

What type of ammonia are you using?

Do you have friends / a good fish store that will give you some old nasty filter sponges or media? That would instantly cycle the tank...

I’m using clear ammonia from The Dollar Tree. It is tough to find pure ammonia here in Canada it seems, I had read on several other forums that this was what others used.

I unfortunately don’t have any friends that are into the hobby and the local pet stores say they don’t supply these things.

I am debating buying some bottled bacteria to help the process along but I read such mixed reviews that I’m not certain that’s the right choice.

You can try bottle bacteria. They are luck-of-the-draw...

Try getting that ammonia up to 4ppm again and make sure you are following the API instructions 100% accurately. They are very inconsistent and notorious for false readings. Pains me to see how much API is recommended.

Anyways, test nitrite an nitrate as well and report back...

You can try bottle bacteria. They are luck-of-the-draw...

Try getting that ammonia up to 4ppm again and make sure you are following the API instructions 100% accurately. They are very inconsistent and notorious for false readings. Pains me to see how much API is recommended.

Anyways, test nitrite an nitrate as well and report back...

I think I’ll buy a different ammonia. I’ve never successfully got the ammonia up to 4ppm, even after adjusting the dose to be quite high.

I’ll grab some bottled bacteria to have on hand if it comes down to it but will try other ammonia first.

Is there a better test kit to buy?

I think I’ll buy a different ammonia. I’ve never successfully got the ammonia up to 4ppm, even after adjusting the dose to be quite high.

I’ll grab some bottled bacteria to have on hand if it comes down to it but will try other ammonia first.

Is there a better test kit to buy?

API is fine...

Just make sure you are following the instructions. Google calibration test's for the API kit to see if you have a bad kit or not.

API is fine...

Just make sure you are following the instructions. Google calibration test's for the API kit to see if you have a bad kit or not.

My kit appears to be fine. I finally got a reading of somewhere between 1ppm and 2ppm after dosing very high. I’ve come to conclude my ammonia must be 1% or lower.

Will be trying to source different ammonia to move forward. I’ve heard Home Hardware has some here in Canada. Otherwise, have read about Dr. Tim’s which is available on Amazon.

I’m using clear ammonia from The Dollar Tree. It is tough to find pure ammonia here in Canada it seems, I had read on several other forums that this was what others used.

I unfortunately don’t have any friends that are into the hobby and the local pet stores say they don’t supply these things.

I am debating buying some bottled bacteria to help the process along but I read such mixed reviews that I’m not certain that’s the right choice.
When you shake the bottle, does it foam up? If it does and the foam does not disappear right away, then chances are it is not pure ammonia.

When you shake the bottle, does it foam up? If it does and the foam does not disappear right away, then chances are it is not pure ammonia.

It foams up a tiny bit and only very briefly. Which as I understand is normal/to be expected. Is that right?

Edited to say: when I say it foams up very briefly I mean that the foam has settled before I even stop shaking the bottle.

Back
Top Bottom