Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 71
Cycling Tank, algae on gravel?

I'm in the process of cycling my little 5 gallon aquarium, the levels are already almost clear but the gravel is getting algae on it. How can I keep algae off the gravel? Is it safe to put a fish in (once the tank is done cycling) with algae on the rocks? Once I have a fish in there how can I keep the rocks from getting algae? I was thinking shrimp, a snail, or one of those little cory catfish but I don't want it to hurt my future fish (I really want a betta). Any suggestions?
__________________

__________________
Minabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 71
Also, if I got ghost shrimp, a snail, or a cory catfish, does the water have to be perfect levels before they can go in? I'm sure it does for the cory but I didn't know about the others. Since I'm still in the process of cycling my little tank.
__________________

__________________
Minabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Hubert90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minabug
I'm in the process of cycling my little 5 gallon aquarium, the levels are already almost clear but the gravel is getting algae on it. How can I keep algae off the gravel? Is it safe to put a fish in (once the tank is done cycling) with algae on the rocks? Once I have a fish in there how can I keep the rocks from getting algae? I was thinking shrimp, a snail, or one of those little cory catfish but I don't want it to hurt my future fish (I really want a betta). Any suggestions?
What kinda of algae? Here's a good article to help u identify and take the problem!
http://gwapa.org/wordpress/articles/...nted-aquarium/

As far as algae hurting Ur fish. They wouldn't.
__________________
Hubert90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rich311k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 12,189
Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
What kind of algae is it? Try turning the lights off for a few days. Corys do not eat algae. Please do not add anything until the cycle is done.
__________________
From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.
rich311k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Hubert90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minabug
Also, if I got ghost shrimp, a snail, or a cory catfish, does the water have to be perfect levels before they can go in? I'm sure it does for the cory but I didn't know about the others. Since I'm still in the process of cycling my little tank.
Shrimp is a yes! And snails not so much IMO. Cory catfish will be too big for Ur 5gallon as their need to be in groups or at least 3 I believe? Ur best bets are shrimp or snails
__________________
Hubert90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 71
It looks like just green or black algae starting on the rocks. It's just flat against the gravel, doesn't look raised or anything.

Would shrimp need to be added before the betta, after, or could they all go together at once? Also, do I only need one ghost shrimp? Do they keep the tank clean?
__________________
Minabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Hubert90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minabug
It looks like just green or black algae starting on the rocks. It's just flat against the gravel, doesn't look raised or anything.

Would shrimp need to be added before the betta, after, or could they all go together at once? Also, do I only need one ghost shrimp? Do they keep the tank clean?
Use the link to help u identify Ur algae. It Blue green algae.

It's a good idea to introduce ur shrimp before u Betta. Also a good idea to provide a hiding area for Ur shrimp! (plants). Ultimately it's base on Ur Betta personality whether or not ur shrimp will get eaten/killed.

Introduce more than one! They are cheap and their bioload are so insignificant!
__________________
Hubert90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 71
If I didn't go with shrimp what would be the next best thing to help with the algae in the tank? I've heard on other websites that mystery snails have a big bioload and don't get along well with bettas and the water needs to be different than normal fish for the snails. I had a snail when I was younger (not an aquarium snail), next day ended up with 100's of those little things. So I really don't want a snail reproducing.

It's odd that I have algae growing, since I've been keeping the light off the tank while it's cycling.
__________________
Minabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Hubert90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minabug
If I didn't go with shrimp what would be the next best thing to help with the algae in the tank? I've heard on other websites that mystery snails have a big bioload and don't get along well with bettas and the water needs to be different than normal fish for the snails. I had a snail when I was younger (not an aquarium snail), next day ended up with 100's of those little things. So I really don't want a snail reproducing.

It's odd that I have algae growing, since I've been keeping the light off the tank while it's cycling.
Can u please post a pic of this algae? I'm telling u identify it so we can go from there.
__________________
Hubert90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
hippy guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lexvegas Kentucky
Posts: 1,227
Get amano shrimp, like 2 or 3, and a betta, that's about all that will fit.. idk, never had much luck with ghost shrimp, as there sold basically as food, so there in poor condition, and usually die, or bring crap to your tank..go for a sturdier shrimp, and grt the algea undercontrol, making sure ou know what it ism some could be bad for your tank
__________________

__________________
Bada Bing, Bada Betta
hippy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
algae, cycling, cycling tank, gravel, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Log for cycling my new tank. zparticle Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 146 07-13-2011 03:34 PM
OMG..pls reply..had a cycled tank, now got ammonia?? shynepo3 Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 16 06-28-2011 09:54 AM
upgrading tank? mollymama Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 3 06-26-2011 08:13 PM
Cycling Tank advice? th64 Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 7 06-26-2011 05:41 PM
Ok to take out seed gravel from tank during cycling process? shynepo3 Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 1 06-23-2011 06:15 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.