Cycling tank phenomenon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishywishywowoo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone experienced this? I was struggling with very high ammonia levels of 8.0 for weeks and weeks, was doing daily 50% PWC but nothing progressed. Fish were looking pale. Then I injured my hand and I've been unable to do the PWC. I thought for sure my fish would die but surprisingly they got their colour back and became more sociable and active. I've just done first PWC in nearly 3 weeks and ammonia 1.0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5.0. This is best it's been since started tank in January. Its a 20 gallon with 7 wcmm and 4 Chinese hillstream loaches. New to all this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With an 8ppm ammonia after a 50% water change your initial concentration had to have been around 25 or 30 ppm. I'd think that would kill the fish. I'm wondering if there is a problem with the test kit or your water has some sort of a false positive interference in it, like ammonium salts.

The 8.0 was prior to pic. It's the api freshwater kit. Same one I used today. It's very bizarre

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tap water 0. It's the liquid test. Least fish are happy is main thing

How long have you had the each fish in the tank? You may have had a mini cycle and your bacterial filtration finally caught up to the bioload, hence the nitrates. Seems like a lot of fish for a 20, especially loaches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They all been in from start. Didn't know any better. The loaches only bout 1-2 inch. They fully grown

Back
Top Bottom