Cycling tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishayFishay

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm currently cycling my 20 long and I cut two filter pads from my other two tanks to jumpstart it. As of now I'm currently running it bare bottom with only a piece of drift wood in there, should I add my sand so it can gather the beneficial bacteria? Or will it make it faster/easier to cycle with? Or can I keep it barebottom the way it is?

I plan on doing the hard scape this weekend and add the sand but i will do it earlier if suggested.

Thanks in advance

yes, the sooner you get everything in there, the faster stuff will be colonized by beneficial bacteria.

yes, the sooner you get everything in there, the faster stuff will be colonized by beneficial bacteria.

So should I just add all the sand sooner rather than later or can I just put a layer? What do you suggest?

yes, just put it all in now. bacteria will most heavily colonize the top 1-2 inches, so if you add a little now and then cover it with more, it will "smother" the colony on the top of the substrate.
Just put all the substrate in now, no real benefit in waiting.

True, I have to clean the sand for the first time lol. Do I just put it in a bucket and hose it down till the water runs clear?

Back
Top Bottom