Cycling with HOB filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10Gallon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Soon I plan on starting up the 20 long again. On my 10 I'm running 2 AC20's. I plan on taking one of the AC20's off the 10 and put it on the 20 so I instantly have BB. The question is, how many fish can I start with right away with that? I plan on stocking the tank with about 10 Penguin Tetras and I may put the 4 Corys from the 10 into the 20. Leaving the Corys in the 10 for now, how many Penguins can I start with? Should I go for 10 or start with a lower #? I've never instant cycled a tank before with an established HOB filter.

The load the HOB should be able to carry is 1/2 of your 10g stocking IMO ?
I would cautiously add 1/2 as many fish as the 10g has and keep an eye on it..
With a mindful eye and time to change water [daily if needed for the first couple days] you might be able to stock all ten penguins..
You could add filter to the new 20 and dose it with ammonia to see how much it handles or even 'bulk it up' by adding ammonia for a couple days to get it stronger..When it consumes 2-4ppm ammonia in 24 hours and leaves no nitrites you could stock all 10 IMO..

Solid advice from bandit.
Adding the AC20 is a good idea. Additionally, I would purchase another AC20 and put it on your 20 long. Run both.
I would think you could get the new AC20 seeded by doing this. Might speed things along for you and add more filtration.

Good advice from Mr. Bandit. I'd move the filter and give the new tank a treatment with pure ammonia, as he describes above. That way you'll know your filter is ready for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom