Dalmatian Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marccregan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Dalmatian Molly - he was the chillest most docile fish in my tank. He has grown to about three inches now - and yesterday, I noticed him terrorizing my other molly a black and gold (I forget the name but it is not a lyetail) who is smaller. They are both males. I am concerned that B&G is going to get hurt. Dalmatian is also flaring up his dorsal fin a lot. Is this adolescent behavior, or a serious concern. My water tests come back fine - although the water is cloudy - especially after the light has been off.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

He's showing dominant male behavior. Do you have any other mollies in the tank? You may need to separate him from the other male. I had to do this with my male Platy who did the same behavior to my other male platy. You could try adding females into the tank and see if this distracts the dominant behavior.

no need to do anything because the ghost shrimp will end up eating them unless you want to really save them and let them grow up in a different tank

The dm molly is trying to be dominant. They do this even if there are only females. They establish a pecking order. It the other one half black and half orange? Sound like a gold doubloon molly. I had one of those and a dalmation molly. The dalmatian always pushed the gold doubloon molly. I have two of their offspring, one female and one male, and they fight all the time. I got another girl to give the male someone else to chase. now the girls gang up on the male. LOL I found that having more than two mollies works out best. My ghost shrimp are huge and have never ate the fry. They will take food out of the adult fishes mouth though.

Back
Top Bottom