Dang Tiger barbs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alt R E GO

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so I have a problem with a couple of my tiger barbs, I have 8 in my 40 gallon altogether. But their is two that are fairly bigger then the rest but there both very dominant to one another and the other fish? I don't really want to take them back as they are very stunning at there size, but don't like seeing my cories being harassed at ALL :banghead: any help or possible suggestions much appreciated!!

While I am new to the hobby I have read a ton on barbs because I have them and love them! First I read that they should be kept in odd numbers never even. Also 9 appears to be the magic number. If aggression is seen they suggest adding a few more ( stay in odd numbers) and it should fix the problem. I added a few to get number to seven and it fixed my aggression problem.

Thank you I'll give it a try didn't really see that anywhere! Ill have to say though ill find it pretty funny if it works lol

If you google tiger barbs and odd numbers you will find a lot of information and theories on why to keep odd numbers. Mainly it is to prevent pairing off and also to ensure one remains at bottom of pecking order which eliminates aggression. It does sound odd but I had an even number and there was aggression and now with seven I have none. Could be coincidence

Ok so I have a problem with a couple of my tiger barbs, I have 8 in my 40 gallon altogether. But their is two that are fairly bigger then the rest but there both very dominant to one another and the other fish? I don't really want to take them back as they are very stunning at there size, but don't like seeing my cories being harassed at ALL :banghead: any help or possible suggestions much appreciated!!

This is pretty much par for the course with TB's ... The two largest will be the one's to go at it for dominance of the shoal. Unfortunately this aggression can be spread to non TB tank mates ... In your situation, adding a couple more could help ... I've read about the odd number and it's worth a try.

With TB's there's no guarantees, sometimes you get a docile group, other times they act like a bunch of thugs ... Odd numbers or not. ... nature of the beast with TB's. You can be sure the smallest TB will be at the bottom of the totem pole.

Back
Top Bottom