DANGER! Siamese Fighting Fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, not that anyone would admit to seeing it, but I'm morbidly curious--do Siamese fighting fish actually fight? I mean, yeah, duh, the name is there, but they just don't seem like big fighters. Do they kinda wrap themselves around each other? Is it like one of those old kung-fu flicks--you know who is the real master by looking for the most calm one, and then he opens up a can of whoop-(expletive deleted) and beats up everyone in the room? It just seems like it would be pretty boring. Usually all you hear about in here is how everyone else is picking on them. Anyone ever see them fight?

Bettas are rarely fought to the death unless the victor fish is just especially vicious.
Losers are usually thrown back to the paddies because their genes. (Seems that offspring of winners always win over offspring of a fish that lost to their parent)

http://jyliew.tripod.com/index1.html

and a respected betta fancier and fight quality breeder in Asia....

http://www.atisonbetta.com/Stock7.asp

have fun reading from a trainer and breeders views :)

edit: stupid spellchecker!

I have long tails, show and plakats hanging about. I never saw my grandad's wild caught fish do amy more than cichlids or barbs when they are moody.

BUT
the three plakat sisters we saved from being oscar chow......
added one with the female gourami..all good

added number 2 thre was some scuffling, then sulking, then normal swimming.

added number 3 whose name is Seeleup Goht.

All holy hail broke loose. Ever seen a serious cat fight? with fur and chunks a-flying?
Ghot is ultra vicious- aggressive to anything that is in any shade of blue, including her sisters and her reflection (she split her mouth attacking her reflection). She now lives in a trophy case so thre are no reflections to bother her...just a view in the direction of a soothing yellow tang image.
She drove one sister down to the bottom
and took a gill plate piece off the other before I could say "Kerap!
and fish some fish out! There were sparkling pieces of scales floating around like a weird winter scene....

She has jumped up out of the jar they stay in during tank cleaning and latched onto the nostril of our too nosy cat. And was not frightened nor repentent when retrived from the carpet
All the males show fear bars and wash their color out if she is besidee them for more than two hours.

She IS the essential Siamese Fighting Fish..the Plaa Ghaad.

Yet her much larger, nearly 5 inch sister was a gentle and socialable companion to my lonely female dwarf gourami. Same size too.

So I guess the answer is yes..I have seen the reputed side of the betta splendens.
edit2:stupid spellchecker!

Why do I suddenly have Aerosmiths" Attitude Adjustment " playing in the back of my mind? :p

Thats one gutsy fish you got there! To leap right at the jaws that very well could eat it. 8O

Thats one gutsy fish you got there! To leap right at the jaws that very well could eat it.

Everybody has a plan until they get hit... I'm sure that fish would have found that out as soon as the cat lost it's sense of surprise over the situation. I know my cat would have had fun with it. It's a good thing you were there when this happened...[/quote]

lol, this reminds me of the b*tchy little black masked lovebird we had named Winnie. She would walk up to to the dog and bite his nose. That little bird scared the crap out of a dog would could have just bitten her head off.

The cat doesn't approach any of the tanks that have betta looking fish. She only watches the tetra...from a 2 ft distance on the couch.
She lost a lot of dignitythat day...
Splashed by water she spilled while getting bit, wildly shaking her head to dislodge angry fish, then she ran out of the room hitting a chair, table and wall before getting it right. She also has a chip out of her nose.
I doubt she'd chance such an affront to her dignity again......
The fish just got her juuust right. Guess kinda like bull dogs can bring down an animal a ton larger by hanging in there.

[center:ae42b122b8]:ninja::ninja::ninja:[/center:ae42b122b8]
Splashed by water she spilled while getting bit, wildly shaking her head to dislodge angry fish, then she ran out of the room hitting a chair, table and wall before getting it right. She also has a chip out of her nose.

[center:ae42b122b8]:ninja::ninja::ninja:[/center:ae42b122b8]
[center:ae42b122b8]Everyone was kung fu fighting...[/center:ae42b122b8]

[center:3cb6580dfc]I don't get it, but that's OK![/center:3cb6580dfc]
[center:3cb6580dfc]:ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja:[/center:3cb6580dfc]

Back
Top Bottom