Danio colours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are the new Glow Danios. They are fed a specific food for the color. It will last through life and not pass on to next generation if bred.

They are the new Glow Danios. They are fed a specific food for the color. It will last through life and not pass on to next generation if bred.

I think you're confusing the GloFish Danios with something else... The GloFish danios eat normal food and get their coloration from their parents. The original fish that started the GloFish lines were created through genetic engineering when scientists modified standard Zebra Danios to have the fluorescent gene from jellyfish. The goal was to have fish that fluoresced in reaction to pollution so scientists could tell whether a river was polluted, but once they got them fluorescent they couldn't figure out how to get them to stop being fluorescent when no pollution was present. Rather than getting rid of the new danios, they bred them to make more so aquarium fans like us could enjoy them. GloFish are patented and illegal to purposefully breed, but all their babies do have just as bright coloring as their parents.

A tank full of them is very pretty

Indeed. I'm rather fond of mine :)

img_2854072_0_73272f393daa4d05f4f3930b59c38c75.jpg

Back
Top Bottom